chicken thighs - need advice

Chris L.

TVWBB Member
I'm doing about a dozen chicken thighs (after an 8 lb butt is done). I was thinking of marinating in italian dressing for a few hours. How long should I marinate? Then I will rub and put on the smoker using the empty water pan method. Should I use a rub with no sugar because of the higher temp? I will use some cherry wood and take the thighs off the WSM just before they are done and finish them on the grill to crisp up the skin. Any problems with this method?

Also, I was talking to a buddy who's pretty experienced in BBQ and he said it's possible to get crispy chicken skin low & slow by using a rub with about 60% salt content, because the salt draws the moisture out. Any thoughts?

Chris

There are a lot of experienced BBQ folks around here and I don't believe I've heard any of them say you could get crispy chicken skin cooking low 'n slow.

When you use that much salt to draw out the moisture, you're also drawing moisture out of the chicken meat, not just the skin. Plus, making the skin dry and making it crispy are two different things.

Of course, I'd say experiment and find out. That's the best teacher anyway. And experimenting with chicken is cheap.
icon_smile.gif

Chris--

I disagree with your buddy. You can get cooked, edible skin (depending what you do), but crisp? I don't think so.

Marinate as long as you can. Wipe off the excess before rubbing, pat the skin dry. I use no- or low-sugar rubs with chicken for the reason you note. (I like a little rub under the skin as well.) You don't need to remove the chicken to a grill but can if you wish. Brad Morrell has a good flow here that describes his total-WSM approach.

Sounds like you gotta good plan.

IMO, the longer in the WB Italian, the better. I do butterflied halves overnight. Sugar in your rub not should cause you a problem in cooking at a higher temp in the WSM. The 325 cooking temp is not low/slow, but it's not high heat.

Finishing them on a grill should help to crisp up some. However, much of the fat from the skin will be rendered during the first process and therefore it won't be around to help with the crisping process. I have heard some people crisp the skin first. I discard the skin, although it taste wonderful when crisp, to avoid some fat intake.

Paul

True, it depends on how hot you're running. I run very hot (towards 400) for skin purposes and have to skimp or do without the sugar as it will scorch, especially when skin-down without a pan. It'll depend on your approach.

Kevin, I might try that method. How much charcoal do you use? Would lump work better for this cook? About how long should the chicken take?

Thanks for the help!

Chris--

I use a couple chimneys and yep, lump is put to good use here. Thighs are forgiving by nature and brined or marinated moreso. I tend to do marinated on the kettle, brined on the WSM--no reason, that's just how it's worked out. I shoot for 350 for the skin down start, then when I flip I let the temp go up to near 400. Sneek a peek after 20 and decide if you need to flip down again. I allot 50 min-1 hour for the cook, depending on how the temps run and the size of the thighs. Have fun.

Good luck on yours too, Paul.

I would think that if you took the water pan out of the WSM and opened all the vents, you would be able to get the temp up to about 400-450...plenty for crispy skin IMO. Then again, your temps will drop to probably 350 after adding the thighs or quarters.

I run my gasser at about 375-400 for thighs and quarters, and the skin (when I leave it on) always gets crispy.

I started doing my thighs on the kettle. I read on another boardthat somebody posted a method they belived Stoogie started. Marinade in whatever you like. Before putting on grill, rub with your choice of rub. (I've never used one with sugar) Cook indirect for about 1 hour or until internal temp hits 160*. Put them in a pan with bbq sauce and put back on grill until internal temp hits 170*. Take pieces and put directly on grill and cook until 180*. Juicy and tender every time. I add smoke wood during indirect cook and it gives a nice smoky taste!

Nick--

Jim Minion's comp approach is similar. Haven't done it quite his or Stogie's (or your) way myself yet (I like high heat) but I've recommended it to many people and all really liked it.

Phil--

Yeah, it cranks. The temp does drop but then climbs--provided you have enough fuel and air. If I'm doing a lot of chicken I start with more. Good lump is handy. And being able to open the door a bit is useful if needed.

Well, I did the thighs with the approach that Kevin suggested from Brad. I used two chimneys of lump, took the water pan out and put the chicken thighs on the top grate. They were done in an hour. Used cherry as my wood. Lid temp was between 350-400 for most of the cook.

I've never used lump before and it does get much hotter and gives off a lot more smoke than briquettes.

I have to admit that was some of the best chicken I've ever had, and the skin was nice and crispy! I will definitely do it this way from now on.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Chris

Back