chicken thighs and quarters

Cory Musser

TVWBB Fan
I'm planning on doing some thighs and quarters to take to work tonight. I haven't done these yet. I'd like the skin to be edible. Not sure if I have time to brine. I was wondering what the best temp to cook at would be? How much Kingsford should I use? I'm assuming I use an empty water pan. Thank you.

Hi Cory
If by edible you mean on the crispy side you should cook fairly hot ~375*F. A layer of unlit plus a full lit chimney should be enough, I always use more though because I hate having to add fuel.

hth
morgan

Morgan,
Can you run 375? With everything wide open and empty (foiled) pan, I can only run 325 when doing Turkeys. And the skin is not really edible, IMHO.

I get 400 no problem, with a pan, a bit higher still with no pan. Lump will give you higher heat yet. Kingsford gives me the above temps. I use a full chimney of lit, then dump on a full of unlit and wait till it's cranking before I assemble and cook.

Definitely try to brine. You can use the Cook's Illustrated quick brine on chicken very successfully. The big deal for crisp skin is getting it dry before you put it on to cook. If you rub, skip the salt in the rub. Also, start skin-side down at the outset, then flip. Keri C has a good point-by-point description

Check out Keri's Turbo Chicken

Cory,

If you do whole leg quarters, twist them around a bit and pop the joint between the leg and thigh out of socket. It'll help that slower-cooking joint area cook more quickly, and help you avoid that red-joint syndrome.

This is commonly known in some circles as the "Uncle Umberto" technique...

I know this is isnt going to make me very popular but, if you brine the chicken quarters first then grill them you will probably be happier with the end product. The WSM is great no doubt for low & slow, but chicken to ME turns out better grilled. If you like the skin cripy, grill the bird. JMHO.
DP

Cory, you could also smoke them on the WSM then finish them on the grill if you aren't happy with the skin.

Brian H: Try to start with all new fuel instead of leftovers. If all of your fuel is fully lit and you still want it hotter you could also prop open the access door an inch or two by leaning a 2x4 chunk against it. I wouldn't suggest doing this while there is unlit fuel in your cooker except for short periods of time say 20 minutes or less (for instance to revive your coals because a bunch of water ran down into them).

Shawn,
Thanks for the advice. You may be onto something there as I do normally throw most leftovers in the chimney. Interesting. Not a big fan of the door open, but i know it gets it rollin. Honestly, I dont mind if the skin is cripy or not. I typically pull my turkey's, freeze and pull out for my lunch sandwiches during the week. But I do know- I have never run 375. I'll try all fresh and see what gives. Thanks
And as Dale alluded to- If i was doing quarters or thighs, I would do them indirect on my kettle and maybe add some apple wood pieces on the side. (See Dale your not so unpopular)

Thanks for all the advice. If I had a kettle I would probably do them on it...but unfortunately I don't...yet. I've been looking though. They turned out ok. The skin was not what I wanted but the meat was good. I couldn't brine as long as I wanted either due to time constraints. It was up to 350 when I put the pieces on but then dropped to under 220. I fired up a few more briqs and put them in and then was cooking along at around 350 again in a short time. Started off with the water pan out but didn't like the grease dripping on the coals so I put it back in empty. I'll get my technique down eventually. But all in all they turned out pretty well and got good reviews from the co-workers. Gotta get me a kettle!

Cory, you are gonna love the kettle when you get one. It looks great sitting next to the bullet too.
icon_smile.gif
With having both you can cook just about anything you want.
DP

You got me craving chicken! I've had two leg quarters soaking in Blues Hog Tennessee Red for the last couple of hours, and have had three in a regular brine with a bit of garlic. Getting ready to fire up a WSM and do a Turbo Chicken on 'em. If they turn out pretty, I'll take a picture. If not, well, then I guess we'll just eat'em, eh?
icon_smile.gif

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

How did those turn out in the red sauce? I have quickly grown to love it myself but never thought to use it as a marinade.

As a marinade alone, it needed a boost, just in my opinion. I didn't season or baste them at all other than us, being curious as to the effect of using the Red as a marinade. I think a bit of basting with it would have helped, as I got more vinegary flavor than spicy. I'll do it again, but I'll use some BH rub on the back and under the skin, and maybe baste them a bit toward the end. I already know that a last minute glaze of the regular Blues Hog is absolutely great on chicken, but I'm enjoying experimenting with the Red.

Back