Chicken thigh char siu - marinating for dinner

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Olympian
Yup, usually I make this with pork shoulder but I am in the mood for making it with chicken thighs, boneless and skinless

Recipe is slightly different than my pork char siu.

Dark soy sauce, hoisin, oyster sauce, granulated garlic, ground ginger, 5 spice powder, black pepper, a little honey and a few tablespoons of water.

Mix all ingredients with the chicken thighs and combine until all ingredients are dispersed throughout the chicken.

Bag, fridge and let marinate for a few hours or overnight.

The cook pics will come later once we fire these bad boys up.

1661115108536.jpeg

1661115128912.jpeg

Last edited:
Brett, if you are going through the trouble of posting the ingredients, why don't you also list how much of each ingredient to use?

Some of us might use 1/2 tsp of 5 spice and someone else will get a different taste by using 2 TB.

Brett, if you are going through the trouble of posting the ingredients, why don't you also list how much of each ingredient to use?

Some of us might use 1/2 tsp of 5 spice and someone else will get a different taste by using 2 TB.
Good point, @Joan. I’ll draft up the amounts and post an actual recipe. As you probably know, I just cook by eye.

This was a Costco large styrofoam tray of boneless skinless thighs. $3.49# and I think I spent $21 on this one. So around 6# of thighs.

This is dinner for 5 tonight with some planned leftovers for lunch this week (maybe 1-2 extra meals, hopefully).

Damn Costco!! I’ve tried to convince the wife we need an outdoor boom box!!

Food looks fantastic, I’d like to try that so if you do get some rough ideas on the measurements please shoot it along.
Will do on the recipe. Highly endorse the backyard tunes spreader. And I control it from my phone when eating. Skip songs, change volume. Worth the $150 as Amazon is much more for lesser models.

Back