chicken quarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan C

I am trying chicken for the first time (after 1 year of ownership), I never had good luck with it on the grill, but a friend prefers it to beef so Im going to try.

I am using chicken quartersa and a marinade and rub I got off of here. I have perused the site for advice and have found some on legs and breasts that might help, but my biggest concern is.....should I transfer to the grill after smoking?

I have gathered smoke at 300 for 3-4 hours or until internal temp is 160. but if I will need to transfer should I smoke less then.

another question that was not answered (belongs in recipe threads, but Im sure you can answer) is should I wash the marinade off before sprinkling rub on (like I do with ribs)? and Im using Prudhomme's Poultry Magic rub....how much do you sprinkle on (lightly/heavely)?

UW

If you're cooking the chicken at 300 you'll probably get a reasonably crisp skin so I would not recommend a transfer to the grill. Most of the fat would have render from the skin and it's not likely to crisp up more but is likely to dry out.

If you're brining the chicken then some do rinse it off. I usually marinade in WB Italian and I don't wash it off, just add the rub which will adhere better. Remember to lift the skin some and try to get some rub directly on the meat.

I would either use a light smoke wood such as apple, which I never have on hand, or just keep the wood to a minimum, say 3 chunks.

The 160 would be for the breast, but leg quarters should go to around 180 in the thigh. You can pull 5 degrees early, tent in foil and they'll come on up. At 300 they probably won't take 4 hrs to reach these temps.

Hope your cook goes well.

Paul

At constant 300F I would estimate 3 hrs to be as long as you might cook them and I would expect the skin to be crisp, except for possibly where skin is folded together.

If grilling drumsticks or thighs, I boil them suckers like 30 minutes with garlic and/or honey and/or soy sauce then brown them up nice on the grill, then sauce them. They are much better out of WSM, but hey it beats the heck out of grill burnt-black-as-dirt chicken IMO.

Sorry chris..I used to be registered under my real name, Brian, then I wasn't able to get in (you tried to help me with that last year), so I switched to my common internet name, then I had to reregister under this new system and I just kinda gave up. Ill try to get it straight tomorrow.

meanwhile, the chicken came out the best ever. I have really never had anything better. I wish I knew what it was, the marinade, rub or smoker but most likely all three. I couldn't ever get to 300, 250 steady for about 3 hours did it. skin was perfect and WOW, what flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back