Chicken on the throne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith Wittman

I tried my smoker for the first time by following the chicken on the throne recipe. I cooked at 235-250 for 4 hours. After 4 hours, I took it off and checked the meat temperature. It was at 190. It seems like I cooked a little too long, the chicken was kind of dry. Is it better to follow the correct cooking time, or take off the meat when it reaches the desired temperature? Should chicken be at 175?

Hi Keith and welcome to the site! It is best to cook chicken, or anything, to a desired internal temp until you get used to what the product looks and feels like when it's done. Chicken has two finish temps. White meat in the breast is cooked to about 160* and dark thigh meat to 170-175*. This can be a little difficult cause if you cook the thigh to that temp you tend to over cook the breast. Generally I cook the bird to 160-165* then let it rest. -ain't killed me yet! Brining can also help to keep the bird moist at higher internal temps.
HTH,
Dave

I'm surprised that it was dry. I've done beer can chicken a number of times. And I always cook whole birds to around 190f internal breast temp. They alway's come out moist. Then again I always cook at a much higher temp than you did. I'll get a 3 or 4 pound roasting chicken and do beer can chicken with it. It will get done between 1 hr and 15 minutes to 1 hr and 30 minutes every time. I think that may be the difference in the meat coming out dry. Your's was on much longer then mine.
I've not done it on my WSM yet though. I always use my Weber Kettle for it. I'll light a full chimney full of coals and pile to one side. Throw a drip pan next to the coals. And throw the bird on above the drip pan. I leave all the vents wide open and just let it cook. Comes out great everytime with a nice dark crispy skin as well.

Try cooking at a higher temp next time and see if it makes a difference. You may like it much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back