Chicken on the gasser

Ok; here's what I do.

I make sure the grill grate is hot and I brush it and use a paper towel dipped in vegetable oil with tongs and rub it over the grates before putting on the chicken. It also helps to dry the chicken skin with paper towel before putting it on the grill - do it before you season the chicken.

Another thing is to not move the chicken or flip it until its had a chance to cook a bit on the grates - using tongs, try wiggling the chicken pieces to see if they free up from the grates. Lastly, I start my chicken cooks using indirect heat. I'll finish the pieces over direct heat to give the skin some crispiness.

Hope this helps.

Great advice given by Pete...
I do the following,
I spray Pam on the grill grates. Sometimes add a little oil to the marinade.

Another thing is to not move the chicken or flip it until its had a chance to cook a bit on the grates - using tongs, try wiggling the chicken pieces to see if they free up from the grates.

This is the main thing that needs to be done to reduce sticking. Let it cook for awhile before you try to flip it. Then, just as Pete says, test it. If I do have to scrape it off the grate, I do so in a very micro manner. I don't just grab the chicken and rip it off the grate, I slide one of the tongs under the chicken like a mini spatula. Keeps the damage to a minimum.

I oil the meat, not the grate. And as previously stated, meat will release from the grate when it is ready. If it sticks it is not ready.

Back