Chicken kofta kebobs

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Been working on this method for a few years and can finally declare success.

Chicken kofta kebobs served with white onion, sliced tomatoes, over seasoned rice and a side of cauliflower hummus. Topped with fresh lime juice, EVOO and sumac.

Attachments

• 88233EEF-DA71-447D-9FCB-9C32C7D96059.jpeg
    88233EEF-DA71-447D-9FCB-9C32C7D96059.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 1AE3CCAE-6627-42E7-B656-9854AFBCE9B5.jpeg
    1AE3CCAE-6627-42E7-B656-9854AFBCE9B5.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 28
  • DF8461AC-8C37-44B8-97A2-DEB1A75030FF.jpeg
    DF8461AC-8C37-44B8-97A2-DEB1A75030FF.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 6DC39883-4F90-448D-A91C-99A92D4F25E9.jpeg
    6DC39883-4F90-448D-A91C-99A92D4F25E9.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 28
  • C88AB91C-25F3-4BBE-AA00-9447DE3B3811.jpeg
    C88AB91C-25F3-4BBE-AA00-9447DE3B3811.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 30
  • E9093E0E-8CE1-4901-ADBE-54DCEC829F08.jpeg
    E9093E0E-8CE1-4901-ADBE-54DCEC829F08.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 29
Those look delicious - I'm trying to work more recipes like that into my routine - is there a secret to getting the ground meat to stay on the skewer?

Been working on this method for a few years and can finally declare success.

Chicken kofta kebobs served with white onion, sliced tomatoes, over seasoned rice and a side of cauliflower hummus. Topped with fresh lime juice, EVOO and sumac.
Skills!! Looks great!

Those look delicious - I'm trying to work more recipes like that into my routine - is there a secret to getting the ground meat to stay on the skewer?
Yes. You’re about to cut the line on knowhow 😂

Only thigh meat, skinless and boneless semi frozen and then home ground, single grind on a medium disc.

You must use 1” wide skewers.

Into the ground chicken you’ll add food processor decimated onion of which you have squeezed out all the onion juice. All of it. Add in salt, black pepper, turmeric and cayenne pepper all to taste.

THEN FRIDGE THE MIXTURE FOR AT LEAST 4 HOURS.

When ready to skewer, make a bowl of water and dunk your hand into the water and then grab a handful of chicken and roll it into a log.

Then gently work the log onto the skewer and spread it to be even all around the skewer.

Here’s a link that’s worth watching.

Lmk if you have any questions. Glad to help.

Last edited:
We like these kinds of foods/Mediterranean as they’re lighter and healthier than sauced, fried, heavier type cooks. Served with fresh veggies and some EVOO and lemon or lime juice, they’re packed with flavor.

I had a feeling that the recipe/technique would be fairly complicated. We love chicken kabobs but I usually chunk up and marinate the chicken and put it on the skewers. My skewers MIGHT be 1/4" wide so not nearly wide enough to try the kofta method but we do have Christmas coming so maybe Santa will bring me some new skewers.

I had a feeling that the recipe/technique would be fairly complicated. We love chicken kabobs but I usually chunk up and marinate the chicken and put it on the skewers. My skewers MIGHT be 1/4" wide so not nearly wide enough to try the kofta method but we do have Christmas coming so maybe Santa will bring me some new skewers.
I’d recco the all metal 1” wide ones, no wooden handles like mine. My wood is slowly burning off as time passes and so long has you have a bbq glove, you don’t need the wooden handles. And the SS all metal ones are easier to clean.

The technique just takes some practice. It’s not hard. But knowing moisture in the meat works against you, that’s 95% of the battle.

I bought some skewer stands on Amazon. I can link them if you’d like to see which ones. They worked perfectly.

I’d recco the all metal 1” wide ones, no wooden handles like mine. My wood is slowly burning off as time passes and so long has you have a bbq glove, you don’t need the wooden handles. And the SS all metal ones are easier to clean.

The technique just takes some practice. It’s not hard. But knowing moisture in the meat works against you, that’s 95% of the battle.

I bought some skewer stands on Amazon. I can link them if you’d like to see which ones. They worked perfectly.
Sure - let me see that Amazon link when you get a moment!

Yes. You’re about to cut the line on knowhow 😂

Only thigh meat, skinless and boneless semi frozen and then home ground, single grind on a medium disc.

You must use 1” wide skewers.

Into the ground chicken you’ll add food processor decimated onion of which you have squeezed out all the onion juice. All of it. Add in salt, black pepper, turmeric and cayenne pepper all to taste.

THEN FRIDGE THE MIXTURE FOR AT LEAST 4 HOURS.

When ready to skewer, make a bowl of water and dunk your hand into the water and then grab a handful of chicken and roll it into a log.

Then gently work the log onto the skewer and spread it to be even all around the skewer.

Here’s a link that’s worth watching.

Lmk if you have any questions. Glad to help.
Is there a reason for using gloves when preparing the ingredients, but not when applying the mixture to the skewers? :ROFLMAO:

Is there a reason for using gloves when preparing the ingredients, but not when applying the mixture to the skewers? :ROFLMAO:
If you’re using turmeric, then having a glove makes cleanup easier. Turmeric will stain your hands yellow. I don’t use a glove when skewering but use a spoon to mix the raw chicken and spices. Once the turmeric is “cut” into the food, it seems to stain less.

Last edited:
I use this skewer holder:

GOUTIME Stainless Steel Shish Kabob Skewer Rack with Storage Bag, Universal Barbecue BBQ Skewers Holder for Grill

1633231448724.png

And I really like it.

If you’re using turmeric, then having a glove makes cleanup easier. Turmeric will stain your hands yellow. I don’t use a glove when skewering but use a spoon to mix the raw chicken and spices. Once the turmeric is “cut” into the food, it seems to stain less.

Makes perfect sense, now that you mention it. Thanks.

I did this type of kabob last night. I posted pics in Photos too check them out. I used my 1/4” sS skewers on that cook. Make sure your kebabs aren’t on the grill. When your kebabs are on the grill the grill grates pull all the moisture out of your protein. Using a kebab holder makes for a much juicer and more flavorful kebab.

Back