Chicken in Comps.

Uh, you mean those like "bite through" chicken skin. Just looked at the rules for 2010, don't see it mentioned anywhere.[/QUOTE]

Could I ask where you saw the 2010 rules? Didn't think they had been released yet. I just checked KCBS site, but they apparently had a server crash over the weekend, so downloads aren't available

I believe that the rules say if the juices from the chicken are clear, then it should be considered cooked

Not arguing with you Kevin. And now that I look, I'm not sure it's a written rule. But I'm pretty sure it's part of the CD they play to the judges before judging.

USDA says 165. That's what we shoot for
From thier site
Pink Meat
The color of cooked chicken is not a sign of its safety. Only by using a food thermometer can one accurately determine that chicken has reached a safe minimum internal temperature of 165 °F throughout. The pink color in safely cooked chicken may be due to the hemoglobin in tissues which can form a heat-stable color. Smoking or grilling may also cause this reaction, which occurs more in young birds.

Yeah, 165 is overkill in terms of safety (typical of the FDA) but, for dark meat at least, worth hitting - at minimum - in terms of palatability.

I agree, at home we go about 160 but just want to be sure and not make anyone sick at comps. Not that a judge would probably know whose sample of what got them sick. Then again, the 165 rule is better than thier previous recommendations
icon_smile.gif

jeff i am a cook and a cbj and i agree with dale.
i dont know who taught you how to judge - but i dont want any of my turn in boxes any where near you or others that are using those techniques you are using. just take a bite. i have never had raw chicken at a comp - but you will know if you do and ps dont go by color remember the smoke will cause the chicken to turn pink - its not raw and often times the meat next to the bone will still be pink even when over cooked so dont go by the color there either

I judged a number of comps before we started competing, and a few since. My table actually was served partially raw chicken at a non-sanctioned event in February. I didn't figure out mine wasn't cooked untill I'd taken a bite, and at that point, all I did was put a napkin to my mouth and spit it out as politely as I could.

I agree with the others here that say judges should eat it as presented. Cooks go to a LOT of effort to make chicken look and taste the way we want. I would be quite angry to find someone was disecting mine

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My table actually was served partially raw chicken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What was it about the chicken that made the table realize or think it was partially raw?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jay Lopa:
Do you have to use bone in skin on chicken or can you use boneless and skinless for comps????? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you want to win you should take a judging class and then judge at least one contest!!!

As for grilling most every first place and 180 I've earned in yard bird was on a Weber OTG or RK. It was smoke at high heat.

I was looking for a way to get "bite through the skin" chicken and came across this thread. Here is my $.02.

I have judged more than 20 contests and have never had an uncooked piece of chicken. It does state on the CD that is played before every judging that if you feel the meat is under cooked to check the color of the juices, not the color of the meat.

I eat it as presented but many times I have been slapped in the face by the entire skin of a chicken thigh. This usual leads to a tasteless second bite of meat and a low score. "Bite through the skin" is indeed a bonus to judges. Not because we can, but because more often then not it is an excellent tasting piece of chicken.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My table actually was served partially raw chicken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What was it about the chicken that made the table realize or think it was partially raw? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, sorry I took so long to answer...the outside was browned and looked cooked, skin wasn't even too bad. But inside, from the bone out 1/4 - 3/8" or so, it was just plain raw, and gross. Guess I should revisit threads more often!

Back