Chicken Help Please!

wayne patton

TVWBB Member
Hi All,

I put some chicken breasts and thighs on an hour ago, on my WSM. The temp quickly came to about 235. I have all the vents open so it will get a bit hotter. If I get it to 250, how long do you think it will take some large chicken breasts?

Both racks are full, 14 brats, and some thighs also. I ask about the breasts as they are the largest pieces of meat on the smoker. I am thinking 4 hours maybe???

How long is a hard question to answer. I usually make chicken with a thermometer to 160*. Recently I did whole chickens and asked the same question. I do not remember if it was Larry or Kevin that said that the amount of time the chicken held after 140* is the most important part to making good chicken. There was a formula to it if I remember correctly. The USDA I believe says it needs to be to 170-180* for presentation because most people do not like the looks of it if there is some red still in it. Let me look to see If I can find the thread. Vince

Everybody has his own little twists. I do breasts to 160 in the thickest part and thighs to 170-175. Since the thighs are all dark meat they are fattier and can take the longer cooking beyond just being safe to eat, especially if you want to avoid pink or worse near the bone. They still come out juicy, but done throughout. JMO. Whether done on the smoker or on a grill (I do chicken in the kettle), cook all to at least a safe internal. Vince's referenced link has some good info regarding safety

I always like to brine the chicken for a few hours the white meat comes off the WSM very moist and I've never had a problem with pink around the bone .

I have to agree with Tim here. Brining birds always make juicier meat! I recently did three chickens and a turkey and they were awesome. I did mine for 24 hrs and they were some of the best I have ever made. Vince

Back