Chicken for 20 - how long can keep warm?

RickS

I'm having our staff holiday party tomorrow and am smoking three birds (halved) on my 22". Party starts at 6, but we probably won't eat until 7-7:30. I'd prefer to have the cooking done by the time everyone arrives because some have to leave early and I actually want to see them vs. being busy outside, but I also don't want the chicken to dry out sitting around for an hour. Plan on doing high heat smoke over about an hour to hour and a half with no water. Will it be a big deal to remove them around 6-615 and then cover and keep warm in the oven or on my gas grill at low heat? I've always served chicken right off the grill. Thanks in advance.

Two things I worry about when doing chicken that has to wait on the guests. The carryover heat overcooking the chicken and the softening of the skin which can turn rubbery.
Pulling them a good 10 degs shy of target and putting back on the gasser to crisp up the skin right before serving should work.
OBTW Welcome to the board!:wsm:

Tim

I just decided that I'd start it about half an hour before everyone arrived. Since the weather was nice, I was able to meet and greet and still keep any eye on the birds, which turned out great, BTW.

Back