Chicken - Does the can make a difference?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Tom

No, as you may have heard, they have to pipe the sunshine into this part of Florida - "the other Florida". I did enjoy Publix when I was at UF and later in law school at FSU. We have WD and Foodworld, primarily. I'm going to do some more checking. If anyone wants to really keep me from finding something, all they have to do is put it in a grocery store. Better than burying it.
icon_smile.gif

Paul

I always brine my chickens before I cook them. If I do them in the smoker I beer can them. I close the neck to keep the moisture in. If I grill them I like to spatchcock them. Either way I don't get any complaints, just clean bones.

Paul, Surely you could ask your local megamart if they could order some... Arrive there around 9AM, speak to the Manager, not the person at the desk. Make sure that you let the MGR know that you are willing to buy at least a case ... over time.
I haven't had any problems asking a Manager to order something, and getting it "shipped" for free ... then I just go and pick it up there. Beats ordering it over the interwebnet.
icon_cool.gif

Give it a shot!

I like b/c chicken. In fact, I like chicken just about anyway you want to serve it to me but for a newbie to the grill, you cant beat drunken chicken. You dont have to flip it, just cook until it reaches the temp desired and serve. It is going to be moist, tender and tasty. I dont cook birds that way very often but it is still good. I have cooked b/c birds dozens of times and never have I had trouble keeping them balanced. The legs make great kickers. lol.

I like to brine my chicken and cook it around 250 on the kettle indirect heat over a drip pan full of liquid.(water, beer, apple or cranberrie juice...)

If I wander back to the topic, I would guess that a wad of conductive material stuffed into the inside of a chicken would certainly do two things:

1) Promote heat transfer
metals all promote heat transfer and, with the liquid heat sink inside, will heat and transfer the air temperature better than just air alone. Particularly if the can is in direct line to the heat.

2) Provide a repository for "schtuff"
Herbs, spices, beer (a waste in my opinion), or other items, the can provides a receptacle into which the cook can shovel differing items to flavor the end product.

I'm not a b/c chicken guy because a well rubbed, butterflied chicken that has been brined is my taste. Note, my taste -- not everyone's. But there should be some Alton Brown geeks out there that would know the science behind a beer-can chicken. Or maybe we ougta ask AB himself?

Back