Chicago Q recommendations?

Heading to Chi-town for a long weekend and interesting in check out some decent Chicago BBQ, cuz you gotta have something to wash down all the Vienna Beef dogs!

Any recommendations? (If you have a web link, please include.) Is there a distinct Chicago style? Ala Memphis, St. Louis, Texas? What should I expect?

I figure you guys are better judges of this than I would find using Citysearch or some other dining web site.

Thanks,
Bill

WILLIAM,

I can only advise on those I have personally visited. I will not say what I didn't like, only what I found to be really GOOD;
www.unclebubs.com - good brisket, pork and the chicken half is HUGE-630-493-9000
memphisjacks@yahoo.com
4848 butterfield rd, hillside Il 708-202-1227
Mr. Jack, young guy/owner will probably be there, he does a Memphis style Rib that is good.
The Texan Bar-b-Q - couple of locations - Algonquin and Lombard, Hit or miss...
Suburbs - Salt Creek Barbeque - Good Ribs and Pork
Billys Roadhouse Saloon & Grill - www.billysroadhouse.net - Good Beer!
icon_rolleyes.gif

I recommend taking a 2 hr drive out to the city of Shannon, Il on Saturday starting around noon to sample some of the Competiton Barbeque, at least by those giving out samples, at the Il BBQ Championships...

Enjoy the city! Post what you liked after your trip so we too can try...

BBQJEDI

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Whiting:
I have never been to Chicago but after seeing This I have a HUGE desire to give it a visit.
icon_smile.gif

The Brisket looks awesome! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow...great vid...hadn't seen that episode. Thanks!! ROADTRIP TO CHI TOWN!!!

Smoque is getting a lot of press right now. I haven't been there yet but it is on my list. The real Chicago BBQ places are out in the neighborhoods. Honey One, Barbara Anns, Lems are smallish neighborhood places that can be hard to find and may not be in the best neighborhoods. You can find info on these places here

If you want a road trip head up to Kenosha, WI and visit Dr. Porkenstein's place, the BBQ Factory (although if you are coming this weekend Alex and Kate will probably be competing at Shannon.

Presuming you are coming in on I-90, you will pass very close to:

Smoque is at 3800 N Pulaski, which is basically the third or fourth building south of I-90 aka the Kennedy Expy. Pretty good, lots of flavor in the rub, but not too much smoke flavor in the brisket itself. Needs to cook a little hotter to render out more of the fat...IMO. Their Manifesto is a fun read on their website.

Or at roughly I-90 and I-290, don't forget the Schaumburg location of Weber Grill Restaurants--Downtown, Schaumburg (right by Woodfield Mall-Meacham Rd between Higgins (72) and Golf (58), Lombard (near Oak Brook 2 or 3 miles west on Butterfield Rd). All of these are fronted by 20 foot tall Webers...

You could also go to the Weber Factory Store, 214 S Sellstrom Palatine IL (a few miles north of Schaumburg-just south of US 14/Northwest Hwy, off Hicks Rd--1 Mile west of Rt 53/I-290). Toys (I mean accessories) and parts there are 25-50% less expensive than buying at retail.

Uncle Bubs is really good, Salt Creek didn't really grab me.

Chicago style (generically) is about the fall off the bone tender ribs at Carson's Ribs. Big local chain--"The Place for Ribs") They are parboiled, not slow smoked, as far as I know.

Other places I've heard about, but haven't been to:

The Pit Rib House, 9430 S Roberts Rd, Hickory Hills. Just north of 95th St, just west of I-294.

Fat Willys Rib Shack, 2416 W Schubert Ave, Chicago.

Honey 1 2241 N. Western Ave, Chicago.

Smoque is real good for all the traditional BBQ favorites and they have great sides (especially cornbread and mac&cheese)

I'd say Honey One is the best representation of Chicago-style BBQ: Rib Tips and Hot Links.

If you're going to be on the Southside, BJ's Market has great rib tips, though the food is more soul food than BBQ. Still great! It's at 8734 S. Stony Island in the South Shore neighborhood.

Uncle Bubs is the real deal. The Pit is pretty good. Salt Creek is OK. Sweet Baby Rays is typical franchise stuff.

I just saw this list posted at Roadfood. Has anyone been to Leon's?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Some of the most soulful barbecue is found in the Midwest. Chicago's original Leon's has been around since 1941, and it still delivers brawny spareribs that drip juice as soon as you bite through the crust. Leon's also serves exemplary rib tips, a lower-cost option that, because of their small size, demand more tooth work—but are perhaps even more rewarding. The tips deliver meat that is tenderloin-tender, dizzyingly swirled with the potent flavors of hickory and oak smoke. Leon's is take-out only, and the meals come in cardboard boats, the entrée covered with a mess of french fries drenched with sauce, plus a couple of slices of clean, spongy white bread. You would not want this bread for any other meal, but as a sauce sop and salve between bouts with barbecue, it's the right stuff. And because it is awfully messy, we suggest you eat it outside of the car.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back