Chez John's #1 Buffalo Wing Recipe

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Bill Hays in the Just Conversation Forum on Sept. 10, 2004.

------------------------

Chez John (Fat Johnny) (Some on this site know him ) sent me this recipe last Oct...Doubt he'd mind if I share this with you all Let me know what you think if you try it..Otherwise, I use the Anchor Bar Buffalo Wingsauce available at www.BuffaloWings.com. Their recipe page is here.

Chez John's #1 Buffalo Wing Recipe

1 stick real butter, melted
1/2 cup green/jalapeno hot sauce (Emeril makes a good one, so does Trappey's & Tabasco)
1 Tbsp orange marmelade
Juice of one lime (I like some lime zest in there, too)
Red pepper flakes (however many you like - I use mebbe 1/2 tsp)

That's it. Easy peasy. Melt butter in microwave, then add all the other stuff & mix well...while the butter is still warm. No need to boil on stovetop, etc. After sauce is mixed...I like to dump it into a round tupperware container (mebbe 1.5 - 2 quart size container)...with a tight fitting lid. Then, when the wings are cooked & hot - throwa dozen or so of them at a time into the container with the sauce...put lid on, and give it a good shake!

I like my wing sauce @ room temp...NOT hot...when doing this shake thing...because the sauce clings to the wings better. If you heat the sauce...it gets too thin & separates...and doesn't work as good. Use this same technique for coating the wings with sauce...regardless of what kind of sauce you make. Sometimes I make several kinds of sauce...all in different tupperware containers...so I can easily serve whatever kind of wings my guests are eating the most of....

I like my buffalo wings fried...not smoked/grilled....but that's just my preference. Buffalo wings should be fried, and BBQ wings can be smoked/grilled. They are two different animals, IMHO. I also parboil my wings...usually the day before...then chill them until time to fry them. Just lightly dust with seasoned flour...and drop into fryer until browned & heated thru. Since they have been parboiled, they are already *done*...so you can do a batch in about 5 minutes...instead of the 15 minutes it takes to fry from a raw state....

Chris, that parboil idea is going to save me a whole lot of quality time when my family/friends come over to party.

DP

Mike,
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>How do you boil the wings? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I could be wrong, but I would think he puts them in 212* water?
icon_wink.gif
icon_wink.gif
icon_wink.gif

Did you mean to ask, "how long" did he boil them? I have used the same method as Chris is recommending and I only boiled them for about 10-12 minutes depending on the size of the wings. You don't want them to cook for too long or they will fall apart.
icon_eek.gif

Does the wing still come out over the fryer crispy?? I have never boiled mine first. It has me wanting to give it a try.

Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Does the wing still come out over the fryer crispy?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
They sure do!

Back