Chef-Wagon Charcoal

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a lump charcoal. Found this:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Posted by The Naked Whiz on July 31, 2003 at 11:52:12:

In Reply to: Re: lump charcoal and stupid question posted by Robb in NC on July 31, 2003 at 11:32:02:

Real Flavor is made by Royal Oak, if that helps any. It is considered by most people, I think, to be a pretty good brand. The Chef Wagon is imported from South America, distributed by B&B and is made from Quebracho Colorado, also known as axe wood. I've heard mixed reviews of it from very good to very bad. My bag was very good. I've heard one person say it had a petroleum smell and 2 people said it had an ammonia smell. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Doug. It was only $3 per 10 lb. Didn't know if I should go back and load up or not. Guess I should try one bag first. I also saw the Naked Whiz's review on his web site. But then he followed up my post on the BBQ forum with the fact that he had reviewed a different chef-wagon than the one that walmart sells.

I just always use Kingsford in the 2x24lb. pack from Sam's/WM-- $10.84. Are you sure lump is what you want?

I also use the Kingsford for smoking and such. I have just started using lump for grilling and this is the only lump I can find locally.

I've noticed that in the spring Sam's price for 48lbs of Kingsford drops to under $10. Wen't to Costco last night and they were selling 48lbs. of Kingsford for $10.49.

I've found the cheaper brands of charcoal tend to have more filler -- they burn like cr*p and leave heavier ash, which makes me think there's some dirt or sand in the briquettes. Kingsford from Costco is what I usually use.

Several years ago I quit using anything other than Kingsford. It burns consistant from batch to batch. Just got 2pac of 24# for $10+ change at Sam's. I did get some lump at Wal Mart for grilling. Thought I would give it a try after reading some posts here about people using it for grilling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back