Cheese ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi,

I think I've got the pork thing down to my liking. Anybody have any success smoking cheese on the WSM ?

I've been looking everywhere for Gouda. All I can find is smoked Gouda, I would like to smoke my own. Can you even buy un-smoked gouda? Any ideas where to look?

Gouda is one cheese, but I love all cheese, so any recipes for smoked cheese would be greatly appreciated.

Except for that cheese that smells like feet. That's where I draw the line. The olfactory <smell> sense is a big part of the taste process for me, no feet please /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks in advance,

Marc

I think "feet" cheese is supposed to taste like feet, not smoke. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I tried swiss, cheddar, and provolone, and the biggest advice I can offer is go shorter than longer on the smoke. Less is definitely more. Oversmoking makes some nasty tasting cheese.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marc Currie:
[qb]I've been looking everywhere for Gouda. All I can find is smoked Gouda, I would like to smoke my own. Can you even buy un-smoked gouda? Any ideas where to look?[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Check Costco. I've purchased large wedges of unsmoked Gouda there.

Regards,
Chris

I just read the article on smoking cheese. Excellent, as always.

One of the obvious issues with this is keeping the temperature down. I was wondering if anyone has tried this starting with cold tap water in the pan? It seems to me the water would act as a heat sink and help to keep the temps down for quite a while. Given that the temps are supposed to be under 90F, there shouldn't be much difficulty with water vapor.

Yes, some people have used water or even ice cubes in the pan, but I'm not sure of the result. I was afraid that I would get steam coming off the pan, which didn't sound so good. If you give water a try, be sure to let us know what you think.

Regards,
Chris

I,m probably too late for this thread but I have smoked,chedar,provalone and swiss with some success,I think. I usually do it in the fall when it is cooler. I get a 1lb chunk of cheese and put it in the freezer for a day or so then get a good head of smoke up in the WSM. Fine wood chips will make a lot of smoke with very little fire. I put the cheese on the top grill for only about a minute at at time so it won't start to get soft.
Then I take it off and back in the freezer for a few and then back on the grill. i repeat this until it is like I want it. This is a jugement call as far as amount of smoke flavor goes.
WARNING!!!!!!!-The first time I tried to do cheese I cut it into small pieces and tried ti get it the color of the smoked cheeses in the deli. BAD IDEA..it was so strong we had to toss it
and the color never did darken. I think chemicals are used to impart the color so you it will look like you think smoked cheese should. Goog luck and remember"nothing ventured,nothing gained".
Do't start with a whole lot of expensive cheeses so if it turned out bad you won't be out a lot of $$$$$$$.
Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back