Chasing skirts can be expenive...but well worth it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Larsen:
Geez.....guess I should've bought one
icon_biggrin.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bryan gives Dean an Internet smack to the forehead.
icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Try making your own, Dean. Much fresher tasting (no concentrates), no preservatives, and no (oddly included) sugar. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin,

Thanks so much for the link, and the recipe !!! It never occurred to me to scope out a mojo idea here....shame on me !

The Goya is widely available here, but a "fresh" version sounds so much better....might be an issue finding "sour oranges", but you've provided an alternative....we'll try it soon !

In Baltimore City, there is a "Cuban" restaurant that we love...."Babalu's". It's owned by Steve Castro (irony !) who also owns the Ruth's Chris franchises...he has a couple of other places, too. When we get our FL "jones" on, we go to Babalu's and have their Cuban sandwiches, pork, and black bean "soup"
icon_smile.gif

The wife came back from her FL trip, and tortured me with her stories about some decent FL food....at least, she brought me a new "Gator" hat, and some boiled peanuts (even IF they're canned !)

Thanks again !

Dean....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">might be an issue finding "sour oranges", </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Try your 'regular' stores first--but look near the lemons and limes. They're usually there rather than near the sweet oranges. Often they are labeled 'Seville'. If not, try a Hispanic market. If not, go for the sub.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
icon_rolleyes.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"DOH !!!" said Dean, in his best Homer impersonation
icon_biggrin.gif

Bryan, that hurt....I'll go back tomorrow and see what's up....

Dean...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Try your 'regular' stores first--but look near the lemons and limes. They're usually there rather than near the sweet oranges. Often they are labeled 'Seville'. If not, try a Hispanic market. If not, go for the sub. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin,
"Seville" sounds vaguely familiar....bet I've seen them before !

We don't have a large Hispanic population here, but there IS a new Hispanic market that just opened up recently...will be my second stop !

Dean....

Try making your own, Dean. Much fresher tasting (no concentrates), no preservatives, and no (oddly included) sugar. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Kevin, have you ever tried the original mojo, not the cuban one? I read about it while searching for the cuban one.

They look similar but I think it is more of a hot sauce than a marinade

Yes I have and yes you are correct. There are two, a red and a green, and can be mild or spicy hot. The red is based on dried chiles, the green on cilantro. Neither are cooked though sometimes food (often fish) will be cooked in the sauce. The are generally served as accompaniments to, well, everything practically. They are ubiquitous on the Canary Islands and will nearly always be served, on the side, with fish, meat or poultry.

Olive oil, vinegar (usually sherry vin), garlic, paprika (or hotter red chiles) for the red mojo, cilantro in place of chilies for the green, are the standard ingredients. From there, spicing usually includes cumin, occasionally oregano, pepper and, of course, salt.

Might have to give it a shot one day. Sounds like all yummy ingredients put together. Can't be bad at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Larsen:
Geez.....guess I should've bought one
icon_biggrin.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
icon_rolleyes.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dean gives SELF an internet smack to the forehead....of course that price seemed too good to be true, and it wasn't. "Skirt steak...peeled (outside)"; 3-5 lb avg size; $6.29 per lb
icon_eek.gif

Sorry about that....

Dean....

My one comment about flap meat, without having actually cooked it, AFAIK...

The flap steak comes from the loin, and as such is a fairly tough piece of meat, at least from my understanding, so may possibly require a slower and/or longer cook.

skirts are from the front section of the cow (making them kosher, BTW
icon_biggrin.gif
), and as such is a much more tender piece of meat.

flap does seem to be an excellent cut of meat, from what I have read on the net since it was mentioned here, I just wonder about the fact that this cut comes from the rear of the cow, opposed to the front.

A bodybuilder I used to associate with had told me that the skirt contained a lot of blood because of the location of the meat in the cow, but I don't have a lot of fact to back that up. He also recommended and referred to skirts and eggs as the breakfast of champions. I concur, it's good enough for me.
icon_wink.gif

No steaks 'contain blood'. Blood is drained from the carcass immediately upon slaughter. Blood isn't in in muscle and fat. Myoglobin, a protein that reacts with oxygen and becomes red, is. 'Blood' in steaks is nothing more than water and myoglobin, mainly.

I wouldn't exactly call the plate the front section of a beef but I suppose you could. Its the belly, slightly to the front of an imaginary half-dividing line. Skirts come from the plate; flaps come from just under the flank after the flank and fat are removed, bottom of the loin, almost next to where skirts come from. Neither they nor skirts need low/slow (too thin, really) but marinating is good for both as is taking care not to overcook and slicing thinly.

Alan, I cook my flap meat on high temp. until both sides are seared (and is still hopefully pink in the middle). I usually can achieve this 2 minutes on one side and 1 minute on the other.

What makes you think that since beef flap comes from the loin that it's not tender? Have you tried tri tip? Flap comes from the bottom sirloin (which comprises of tri tip, ball tip and flap). Chuck and brisket come from the very front and if not cooked properly, can be incredibly tough.

I didn't realize Costco also sells flap for $4.99/lb. So if you don't want to give Mi Pueblo a whirl, Costco is another option.

Erik

The flap has a little bit more flavor IMO because it's fat content is slightly higher than skirt and flank.

Flap meat is extremely tender if cooked to med rare. Just don't overcook, and slice against the grain.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What makes you think that since beef flap comes from the loin that it's not tender? Have you tried tri tip? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, I've cooked at least 75 tri-tips, but sear the outside and finish on indirect. I marinade them overnight in Bernsteins. tri-tip is a pretty tough cut of meat, actually. Needs to be cut cross grain of course, but it's still not tender like a skirt.

I was checking somewhere online and the flap steak was not cheap.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I didn't realize Costco also sells flap for $4.99/lb. So if you don't want to give Mi Pueblo a whirl, Costco is another option. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'd try it for $4.99/lb., I'll check it out. My wife was at the local PW market and they have tri-tip on sale this weekend for $2.99/lb, I might get one of them but I have bad luck getting untrimmed tips there, the butcher has his head on sideways.

Thanks for the tip on flap (hey, there's a pun for 'ya), I'll check that out when I'm at Costco and give it a whirl.

Just returned to town and was going through the ads and found flap for $3.98 lb, going to have to pick some up for dinner tomorrow. Not sure if I'll do Carne Asada or Chimicurri. Looking forward to trying it and seeing how it compares to flank.

Any part of the cow that is used for continuous aerobic metabolism, ie, walking, stabilizing balance etc, will be more vascularized than parts of the cow that move less ( tenderloin ) simply because the microvasculature is more abundant to supply oxygen and glucose to those active cells.

While very little blood products remain in the meat when we purchase it, I would suggest the " gaminess" or strong beefiness is a combination of less conective tissue, and more abundant iron from the vasculature.

I couldn't find flap at PW, but did find some all naturally raised skirts for $6.99, so that's on the menu for tonight. Picked up a tri-tip also, at $2.99/lb. and gonna do that tomorrow.

I'm thinking to try something different with the tri-tip and try going indirect at low heat. It's only about 2.5 lbs., shouldn't take too long.

All this talk of flap and a local sale got me stoked to do some. Picked-up about 5 lbs. I'm doing 1/2 carne asada and the other 1/2 chimichurri. Both have been marinading since last night and look/smell fantastic!!! I'd forgotten how aromatic chimichurri is.

So I pretty much cook this like I would a flank/skirt, right? It's about the same thickness so I figure I'll sear direct high heat for about 2 min. each side to take it to med rare.

Just finished dinner and the Chimichurri flap was amazing, very flavorful, tender, turned out perfect med. rare. My flap carne asada sucked. I think I over cooked it, forgot how thin the pieces were (unlike the chimichurri piece they were pre-cut for me where there other was whole/not sliced) and left them on just a little too long.

Thanks for the info on flap, new addition to my favorite meats
icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back