Chardonnay question

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
Is anyone here familiar with Mer Soleil Silver chardonnay from Monterey County, CA? I won a bottle at a fundraiser last weekend but my wife and I can't stand chardonnay, so I'm wondering if it might taste a little different because it's unoaked. Thanks!

And if anybody's interested, I'll trade it for a couple bottles of MD 20/20.;)

lol. I like SIMI Chardonnay, so we would not trade well together. I know very little about wines but congratulations on the win.

Unoaked tastes much better IMO. You taste the fruit without an aftertaste which the oak give us in oaked chard. The only chards we buy are unoaked. It’ll go well with fish, or spicy food. Even a well flavored fowl goes well too. Enjoy with something fatty, is in butter or evoo as the acids and crispness of the unoaked chard will help cut the fats and allow the fruit to shine. Serve chilled but not from the fridge. The bouquet has to open up and that’s at like 50-55°.

If I'm buying chardonnay, it's unoaked. Many are just too over the top for me with oak, and Sur lie aging which makes them too creamy/buttery and taste like a 2x4. An unoaked, stainless steel fermented chardonnay is quite nice though.

Back