Charcoal Usage

G Marino

Hello All, hope you can help. I have the WSM 22.5 and I have recently purchased (and used twice) the Auber ATC. Still feeling things through with the ATC so I'll get back here after I've gotten some feedback with the following issue. I am getting nowhere near the 12 - 14 hours of 225 degree cooking time using the minion method and following cooking directions on this site from a single well filled ring on charcoal. I've used Kingsford briquets only, Royal Oak lump only and a mixture of both. No matter what combination, I can maybe get 7 to 8 hours at a reasonably steady temp, which is great for overnight smokes. Can't help but feel that I amusing way too much coal to complete a fifteen hour cook time. Any thoughts?

How much charcoal are you loading? I use 2, unlit weber chimneys full of either Stubb's or kingsford competition. I then light a full chimney, so that's a total of 3. That equals a 8.8 lb. bag of Stubbs briquettes. I also mix in my wood chunks or chips. I use a Pitmaster IQ 110 and get at least 12 hours burn time.

Wow...lot less coal than I am using and WAY more burn time! I don't measure with the chimney (also a Webber). I FILL the ring, bury smokewood through and spread a lit load over the top. As I said earlier, maybe I'll get 7 or 8 hours before I need to restoke with more lit coals to finishout the cook.

What temp. Are you setting your pit for? Are all of your intake vents open on the bottom? I'm using an I QUE and usually cook at around 225. I always measure my charcoal. Do you live I. A cool climate? Is it windy? I live I. Central Texas, and it's pretty warm here right now. Im getting some pre-heat help due to the ambient temperature. What kind of charcoal are you burning? We're going to figure this out!

If you are only shooting for temps of around 220f-250f. Try the fuse method i can get 12hrs out 50 briquettes

Last edited:
Last cook I did was an overnight pork butt.
Cook was 18 hours and I used a full ring of Wicked Good Lump. Never had to reload and actually had a ton left over.

I filled about a 1/4 - rocked the based back and forth so there weren't any air gaps and did that a couple more times till it was filled.

I started with Minion Method but only used about 6 TJ's Hardwood Briquettes. I put them on top of the lump on the side opposite the fan. That way the fan drew the fire towards itself rather than spread it quickly if I put the light right near it.

I also used the Auber - had it set to 225° and it never faltered. When the cook was over, I shut all the vents. I still had close to half the ring that wasn't burned. I've been using what was left to cook since the 4th (including a cook of hot dogs, pineapples and ABT's on the 4th when the butt was done).

I will try to be more specific so maybe someone can point to any errors that I am making:

1. Dump (not arrange) unlit coals filling the ring to the top and bury 8 - 10 fist sized pieces of smoke wood.
2. About 1/2 Weber chimney of fully lit coals spread out over the top on the unlit coals.
3. Throw 3 - 4 more pieces of smokewood on top of lit and close up the smoker.

This method generally yields me only 7 - 8 hrs of steady 225 degree temps. After that, I spend the next hours of a 15 hour smoke refilling with 1 chimney full of lit coals approximately once each two hours. Real pain in the *** this way!

Oh yeah, before anyone asks: each of the vents about 50% open and the ambient temps here in the Northeast are upper 80's during the day and mid 70's overnight. Have worked with both full and empty water pan with very little changes in results. I don't want to worry yet about the ATC quite yet - that's another battle for another day!

Besides the work I described above involving the heat, I am happy to say that anything I have cooked has come out delicious and well recieved by family and friends.

Would you happen to be using water in the water pan? To get longer burn times lose the water. Some use a foiled Terra cotta pot saucer sitting in a foiled water pan. Some use just a double foiled water pan (my pref). In either method the layer of foil on top w/ depression to catch the drippings. You'll get significantly longer burn times without the water. There's several threads about how to foil the water pan....

If you're already not using water, my guess is the thermometer is off. Check the thermometer against boiling water (being careful not to dunk it:) Doesn't really matter that much if measuring at the grate or at the top vent... the 30-50F diff isn't eating up all the fuel.

Oh yeah, before anyone asks: each of the vents about 50% open and the ambient temps here in the Northeast are upper 80's during the day and mid 70's overnight.

It was my understanding that when you use a temperature control device you wanted your other two vents closed. The way the Auber mounts you should be able to get plenty of air to the coals without the other vents open. This will help with the charcoal usage. I know with mine I have two of the three bottoms vents completely closed and the third about 1/2" open with an empty water pan I have no issues getting my temps up. Another thing I do is I only start with about 12 lite charcoals right in the middle.

Originally posted by Marty W:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Oh yeah, before anyone asks: each of the vents about 50% open and the ambient temps here in the Northeast are upper 80's during the day and mid 70's overnight.

It was my understanding that when you use a temperature control device you wanted your other two vents closed. The way the Auber mounts you should be able to get plenty of air to the coals without the other vents open. This will help with the charcoal usage. I know with mine I have two of the three bottoms vents completely closed and the third about 1/2" open with an empty water pan I have no issues getting my temps up. Another thing I do is I only start with about 12 lite charcoals right in the middle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have all the vents closed with my Auber and 2 metal hole plugs (can get them in the hardware section of any of the big box stores) to close the two holes where the fan is.
Generally have my top vent at about 50% closed.

As far as your other questions G - I can only go on how I used to use it before I got the Auber. If using K Blue I would:
1. Fill the ring.
2. Stuff some wood chunks in.
3. Light about 10, 15 tops.
4. When they were full ashed over I'd space them over the top.

That would be it and I'd get a good 12-14 hours out of it without having to add.
My vent settings were usually at around 25% on all the bottoms (sometimes one or two fully closed) and the top fully open.

I will say my switch to lump only and the Auber has yeilded me much better burn times and usage rates.

You should get way more burn time, especially with ATC. On my 22 I can get 18+ hours easy at 225 this time of year with a full ring of Stubbs, empty water pan, using minion method (starting with 18 lit coals), bottom vents closed 100% using ATC, top vent half open.

Example: This past weekend put on 5 9lbs. butts at 7pm Friday evening, was up to temp. (225) by 7:45. I took the last butt off at 1pm Saturday. I did this on 1 full ring of Stubbs charcole and had 2-4 hours of charcole left to burn.

Also sounds like you use alot of wood chunks, I use 2-4 fist size chunks (depends on whats cooking) and get plenty of smoke flavor, and close your bottom vents 100% when using ATC.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your suggestions. All is so much better in my smokey world now!

Instead of a coal only run, I decided to also throw on a center cut, bone in pork loin that brined for 48 hours and it was spectacular!

Can anyone tell me how to post pictures?

Back