Charcoal Ring Mods 22"

MaynardO

TVWBB Member
I made some mods to the charcoal ring now renamed the "fire box".
I now have the opition for three sizes depending on the amount of charcoal I want. Also made an air damper that directs the air flow to the coals. It allows for better temp control and fuel consumption.

here are some pictures:

HPIM1939.jpg

HPIM1940.jpg

HPIM1943.jpg

HPIM1938.jpg

Here is the smallest size:

HPIM1985.jpg

The air damper, it sets just above the three Weber air dampers:

HPIM1986.jpg

assembled over the charcaol ring

HPIM1990.jpg

HPIM1991.jpg

Brett, Works fantastic, excellent temperature control. The temperture reacts muct faster to the opening or closing of the air dampers. The air is directed right to the coals. My first mod was to make the charcoal ring smaller then I came up with the top ring to direct the air flow.

very nice! My only concern would be trying to keep the temp down. Is that a big deal at all. It just seems like it would make the fire burn hotter... and more efficient.

It is very easy to keep the temps down, I can run the WSM at 220/230 deg with two dampers closed and one 1/4 open. What I like best is you can take the lid off, check or baste the meat, replace the lid and the temps return in 5 minutes without changing the damper settings.

I like this idea Maynard, and will probably cobble together a baffle using aluminum sheet to direct all the air through my charcoal ring.

But I don't understand the reason behind reducing the amount of fuel in the ring. I've never had a problem of "too much charcoal." I just extinguish whatever extra is in the WSM and burn it another day.

Also, is that sheet steel you used galvanized? A different discussion, but supposedly unsafe for cooking.

Jim

Jim, The baffle is 1/8" aluminum diamond plate. The smaller charcoal opiton allows me to stack the charcoal higher when using less fuel for shorter cook time like with chicken or smaller roasts. I use the full ring with the air damper (baffle) for longer cook times.

Seems like a lot of work just to cut the size down. I think someone suggested to just use the charcoal ring for the 18 on the 22. Sounds reasonable to me. Unless I'm missing something?

Paul you are not missing anything. Yes it would easier to get a 18" ring but I have aluminum diamond plate and a machine shop available to me. Yes I realize these modification are not for everyone because of the resource that is available to me just showing what I made.

Maynard, I was not intending to take away from your creativity, it looks great.If it works for you and you get the results you were looking for then it was well worth the effort. One question I have when I looked at it was airflow and capacity.

Paul, the airflow is all directed to the fuel and is much easier to control. I now have 3 sizes of fuel capacity, and the smaller ones I'm able to stack the coal higher and not so spead out. With or without mods the WSM is fun to use and always turns out great food.

Back