Charcoal question

Greg J

I have been using OCC Lump this year and have been happy with the results except it sparks and pops a bit when initially lit. I tried Roayal Oak lump for 2 cooks and had a tough time controlling the temp of the cooker. I went back to OCC lump this weekend and had no temp control problems. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it just a coincidence?

Greg J

I've had the same experience with Original Charcoal Co Lump. It smells great and burns well but sends up a ton of sparks (it also seems to take a long time to get lit). Is the sparking indicative of low-quality charcoal or is that just a feature of all/most lump?

Greg,

I have been using the royal oak with pretty much the same results. I get the popping with the RO also with the control problems. I am out now and used kingsford briqs last weekend with good results.
I keep saying I am going to stop buying RO but I always go back to it.

Dave

I hope I have better luck with the Royal Oak Lump then you fellas. The folks at naked wiz seemed to like it alot, so I decided to take the plunge. I bought 4 bags yesterday at Walmart, Im hopeing my transition from K to lump goes well.

Brandon

Thinking about getting some RO lump at Walmart.
What'd you pay for it? (what's the weight) They have lots of it at my local wm, but i never used lump, but am planning on giving it a try. there was not a price on the pallet at wm, so i didnt ask.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eli:
or is that just a feature of all/most lump? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, Lump sparks a bit. Small price to pay for so much more flavor.
icon_wink.gif

It wasn't clear in my initial post, but I was wondering if anyone else has had temp control problems with Royal Oak lump?

Greg J

Ive never had temp control problems with RO and I think it sparks less than most lumps especially if they are import from SA

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg J:
It wasn't clear in my initial post, but I was wondering if anyone else has had temp control problems with Royal Oak lump?

Greg J </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Greg, You need to pack the charcoal with RO lump. I find it varries in size so much (from small to really big) that you can really get big air pockets if your not careful which can/will lead to temp spikes. Some lumps are really consistant in size while others varry a great deal. HTH
On a side note Humphrey's is a very consistant sized lump. Made up of small to medium sized pieces which packs very well. It's my favorite lump.

Back