Charcoal or lump when using an ATC

M. Chesney

TVWBB Fan
All-

I've noticed that with longer overnight type smokes especially in the breezy winter that even using the guru that I'll have to add more charcoal for a 16 hour smoke. Is it better to use lump for these longer temperature controlled smokes so I don't have to reload? I noticed that the ceramic smokers (BGE and Grill Domes) use lump all the time and claim it will last for the entire smoke. Wondering if that same technique can be used on my WSM with the same results.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

I have an 18" WSM with a Stoker and haven't found much difference lump vs. briqs. Pack them tight in the ring and see what you get. Many here have noted 16+ hr cooks with a full ring. I've always had to reload on butt and brisket cooks with meat in the usual weight range and I start with minimal fuel to avoid early overshoots and wasted burn. Temps stay within normal ranges. I use RO lump most of the time because it's readily available within walking distance but I will buy other fuel if there is a sale on. Right now I have 2 Rubbermaid containers on the go, one lump, one briqs. When I run low on either I just do ribs or chicken.

Good luck !

James-

Thanks, I'll follow your recommendation next time to fill it tightly to the brim. I'm sure weather is a factor as well. Perhaps I'll try to shield it next time to see if it can last for 16.

Thanks,

Mike

I use charcoal with my Grill Dome and I can easily go 16+ hours on a bag. Often I use 2/3 of a bag and nicely get through a long smoke.

I guess this partially depends on brand of charcoal.

i think most lumps will burn longer in a very controlled environment

however, if your smoker isn't airtight, lump can burn faster and hotter.

Lump is inconsistent. The size is inconsistent, and how hot/fast it burns is often inconsistent as well.

most people use briquettes because briquettes are consistent

Back