48 lbs @ 7.98 = .16/lb
48 lbs @ 11.98 = .25

Now @ HD:
41lbs @ 11.98 = .29

Enter Royal Oak @ Wally
40lbs @ 7.5 = .1675

King @ Wally:
40 lbs @ 7.78 = .1945

Finally, Sam's Choice is even cheaper...
It is time to try out the competition.

Frankly, I think this genuinely sucks. I've e-mailed my sentiments to Kingsford and look forward to receiving their 'spin' response.

"I'm writing to express my displeasure over the reformulated Kingsford briquettes. I've used your product for several years, and have been happy with the results, but find the newly released "Kingsford" Sure-groove burns substantially less longer than the older version and whose net results indicate that it is more expensive to use on a regular basis. Consequently, lump charcoal made by your competitors is made all the more appealing now that the price differential is largely eleminated and the burn time has been lessened.

I'm sure it may be easy to dismiss any objections to the new Kingsford as a personal or isolated incident, but as a member of a BBQ website, Virtual Weber Bullet (www.virtualweberbullet.com), there are numerous other folks who have had similar experience in a diminished burn time and greater expense. Several have even gone so far as to buy the old Kingsford in mass bulk now that an inferior product has been released. Many more are weighing lump charcoal as the preferred fuel now that the price difference is moot.

I wanted to make you aware of the feedback on your new product in hopes that you won't make the same marketing mistake that Coke did in its released of its "new" Coke. I think examining the surge in sales of old Kingsford versus new Kingsford may shed some light on this as well as perusal of several message boards in the 'net that speak to this change. While I will use up the remainder of your new, 'sure-groove' designed briquettes, my future buying preference will be lump charcoal that can be purchased at a cheaper price, burns longer and with less ash."

No more Kingsford for me. Now its either
Royal Oak or Ace hardware house brand. The stuff from Ace has noticibly larger briquettes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Karl K.:
Frankly, I think this genuinely sucks. I've e-mailed my sentiments to Kingsford and look forward to receiving their 'spin' response.

"I'm writing to express my displeasure over the reformulated Kingsford briquettes. I've used your product for several years, and have been happy with the results, but find the newly released "Kingsford" Sure-groove burns substantially less longer than the older version and whose net results indicate that it is more expensive to use on a regular basis. Consequently, lump charcoal made by your competitors is made all the more appealing now that the price differential is largely eleminated and the burn time has been lessened.

I'm sure it may be easy to dismiss any objections to the new Kingsford as a personal or isolated incident, but as a member of a BBQ website, Virtual Weber Bullet (www.virtualweberbullet.com), there are numerous other folks who have had similar experience in a diminished burn time and greater expense. Several have even gone so far as to buy the old Kingsford in mass bulk now that an inferior product has been released. Many more are weighing lump charcoal as the preferred fuel now that the price difference is moot.

I wanted to make you aware of the feedback on your new product in hopes that you won't make the same marketing mistake that Coke did in its released of its "new" Coke. I think examining the surge in sales of old Kingsford versus new Kingsford may shed some light on this as well as perusal of several message boards in the 'net that speak to this change. While I will use up the remainder of your new, 'sure-groove' designed briquettes, my future buying preference will be lump charcoal that can be purchased at a cheaper price, burns longer and with less ash." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, true to their word, they responded within 48 hours. Here's the text of their message:

"Thank you for contacting us about Kingsford Regular Charcoal Sure Fire Grooves. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.

I am sorry you are not happy with our new formula. We are keeping this information on file for the home office to review. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,

Hal Frankford

Consumer Response Representative

Consumer Services"

They probably have a lot invested in the reformulation, new dies, etc. to produce so unless there's major upheaval, I doubt they'll make any changes...
icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Charlotte, NC Pricing

Old Kingsford:
48 lbs @ 7.98 = .16/lb
48 lbs @ 11.98 = .25

... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any idea which Home Depots get the 48# packs versus the 40#'s? The ones I've checked only sell the 40 pounders. I can get all I want for $7.98.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JRPfeff:
Any idea which Home Depots get the 48# packs versus the 40#'s? The ones I've checked only sell the 40 pounders. I can get all I want for $7.98. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see the 48 lbs packs in both NC & SC Home Depots. I know that doesn't help you answer you question, but I would assume it is a regional thing.

THe response I got was similar but it didnt say it was being put on file. THey told me it would be forwarded to the R&D department for evaluation. Time will tell what is going to happen to our beloved briquets...

I received another email from Kingsford, they assured me that the only changes in the product were the shape and the sure fire grooves. After I received this email I ran a little test to see why there has been trouble .

What I found was, (and it makes sense) is that using the minion method with the new product definately causes the cosumption of more full to the same length of cook. The reason for this I believe is that, per Kingsford's design the new product lights faster, which is good for Joe Blow who is grilling and want to get all his coal ready as quickly as he can. But, for those of us using the minion method we have been relying on the delay in the time it takes the coal to catch and light up durring our cook.

While this explains why the new product is consumed faster on a long cook, it doesn't do anything to help the situation.

Also in the email from Kingsford, they are apologetic and said they were sending me some coupons.

Back