Charcoal Lighting Idea

Chris Stanek

TVWBB Fan
Hey guys, I've been thinking of building a somewhat outlandish charcoal lighting apparatus for chimneys and one of my other smokers... a Stumps gravity feed. I use my Weber all the time and I have a Weber gasser as well. I've used a weed burner to light coals before... it works great but I want to create something a little more application specific. So what I would like to do is take a weed burner like this:

1071475_1_large.jpg

and either cut the nozzle off and put a 90 degree bend at the end and reattach the nozzle or... cut the nozzle off and attach a jet burner like this...

41LfkmwE70L.jpg

I'd then fabricate a mount to hold the assembly. Again... I know there are a 100 ways to light charcoal effectively... I'm just tinkering around with some different ideas to entertain myself. My questions about the jet burner is in regards to if it requires special regulators or things like that... or can it simply be attached and away we go? I can figure out the attachment part. I may even just attach a pipe and handle, then attach a hose directly to the propane tank, but again... I'm not sure about the regulator issue. I don't think I need one. Weed burners for instance don't use one. If I just go without the jet burner... is putting a 90 degree attachment on the end of the weed burner going to cause any issues? Again... I don't think it would, but I'd prefer not to burn my house down or blow up the neighborhood.

Just looking for some thoughts.

That jet burner looks cool but prolly could do some damage to the bottom of a chimney over time. I use a propane torch turned upside down stuck into the bottom of my OTG and that has a slight bend on the nozzle, maybe 22.5 deg.
I'm sure you could do a 90 cause the gas will still flow.

Tim

Back