Charcoal Jump?!

You will not be disappointed with the OTG. While I love my Genesis the OTG is the most versatile grill I own. I taught myself how to cook everything on there. Post pics of the new guy when you get it together please.

When you get used to your new charcoal kettle you will notice the difference in flavor.
If you are grilling for a big group, use your kettle and genesis side by side. That way you
can transfer the food so that everything gets some time over the coals for better flavor.
Its easy to do with steaks, burgers, sausage, dogs, chicken pieces. This method works well.

Pretty excited. So is the fiancé. We got relocated to portland for a year due to work and we live in an apartment and my neighbors will think in crazy with 3 grills. Can't wait to get the kettle.

I love my OTG, smoked on mine for 5 years untill I bought the WSM. Great grill that can do it all plus lots of accessories.

Just another "me too" added. I bought my Spirit e-310 last year and it was by far and away the best grill I have ever owned. Then two weeks ago, I bought a 22.5 OTG (was going to get the silver, but changed my mind and got the gold). Now I have only used the Spirit once in the last two weeks and used the OTG just about every other night. This kettle is very easy to use and control and I am getting better and better results from using it.

I have owned charcoal BBQs in the past and they were all cheap POS, which is why I went with gas in the first place. However, this OTG has changed my mind and it is almost as easy (if not as easy) to use as a gas grill. Not to mention with the added benefit of access to a cornucopia of knowledge on this, as well as other sites, one would have to be a total bonehead not to put out very good results from whatever cooker they decide to use.

A word of caution however, as you may have noticed from some of the other postings, that when you start with the kettle, you may religate the gasser to less and less work, until the poor thing gets totally forgotten.

Last edited:
You can be a charcoal guy but still find a good use for the Genesis. I use mine almost exclusively for Saturday morning breakfast. Its also great for a quick midweek dinner. You never have to "retire" it.

I recently purchased a 26.75" Kettle to supplement my Genesis ES-330 and 22" WSM. I use all 3. Keep the gasser for those "Honey, can you grill this Flank Steak" suprises at 6:30 pm, after an 11 hour day at the office. I blame this forum and the great group of it's members for the getting bit the Weber bug. Buy the kettle and don't look back. BTW, yes, the Golds are worth the additional $. Funny story, we recently had a big shin-dig for Memorial Day (80+ people), all the guys were congregated around my cooking area. I could see a lot of nervous wives in the background as their husbands wheels were turning with the "I really need one of those" in their heads.

I've never used gas and never will. There's just something about the process of using coals and having a good drink while doing so that I'll never change. You'll enjoy it for sure.

Back