Charcoal Grate Modification & mid section handle question

Mark Wilkerson

I have a new style 18" WSM & want to place an additional charcoal grate in the bottom. Do I purchase another 18" WSM charcoal grate # 63013 or a 18" kettle grate # 307440?

How hot do the Genie handles get hot when you cook? Can you use your bare hands to lift the mid section?

If I use the Weber ranch handles will the cover go over the handles? I've seen the cover go over the 22" WSM with the ranch handles but I've never personally seen an 18" with the ranch handles.

Thanks

Mark

If I use the Weber ranch handles will the cover go over the handles? I've seen the cover go over the 22" WSM with the ranch handles but I've never personally seen an 18" with the ranch handles.
That is a good question. I'm considering adding handles and I was also wondering about the cover fitting.

Bob

Last edited:
Mark, just buy the charcoal grate. I take it you are turning 90 degrees to stop the smaller coals from geting through.

I have garage door handles on my 18. It gets hot especially if you are cooking above 275 so I would not use bare hands.

My cover fits snug with handles. I cut the loops off the bottom and it makes it alot easier to remove the cover. I had four handles thinking I was going to make two shelves but the cover was very tight so I just have two handles now.

I dont have the 18 but added the stock Weber handles that are the same as the lid ones to my 22 and after smoking for 5 hrs today they were cool to the touch and not hot in any way. I placed them in the same spot as the screws on the side for the inner brackets so no new holes. The one handle sticks out just a tad farther than the side lid handle overhangs so essentially just adding 1 handle more of space. It was snug starting the cover but it slipped over with no issues.
Not sure if the 18 is the same as far as cover spacings go but adding non metal handles helps on heat issue.

I should say the mid section gets hot but the handles are only warm to the touch. No need for gloves from my point of view if you use the handles.

Mark.
Get the replacement grate for 18.5" kettles. It's smaller than the WSM grate but will fit inside the charcoal ring. Adding some tie-wire to hold all three pcs together is a good idea. I also made handles on my 18.5" WSM that copied the ones from my OTG and the cover was a tight fit. From what I seen on the Ranch Handles, they stick out quite a bit more so...

Tim

I used a replacement 22" kettle grate and it fit inside of the (22" WSM) ring perfectly. Nice to know the 18" kettle does the same for the WSM ring.

I used metal handles on the mid section and still bare handed it while running at 275* this past weekend.
But then again, I am all that is man... lol

Mark.
Get the replacement grate for 18.5" kettles. It's smaller than the WSM grate but will fit inside the charcoal ring. Adding some tie-wire to hold all three pcs together is a good idea. I also made handles on my 18.5" WSM that copied the ones from my OTG and the cover was a tight fit. From what I seen on the Ranch Handles, they stick out quite a bit more so...

Tim
That is exactly what I did as well.

...when i had a 18"WSM with handles on the side, the original cover did not fit, i purchased a cover for the 22"WSM
...now that i have a 22"WSM with handles on the sides, the 22" cover does not fit,
so i purchased a cover for the 26" kettle to use on the 22"WSM.

I did the same as Timothy for my 18". I.E. - bought the 18" charcoal grate for the grills. I like that the charcoal ring fits around it. I've had it that way for 5 years or more and never saw a reason tie the grates together. I like taking them out individually while cleaning and just banging them together to knock off any residual ash.

I thought about handles a number of times but have to say in the end I saw no need really. I use a pair of gloves and just grip the sides and lift. With the larger model might be worth it, I have the 18".

Whether you mount handles or not. Do some practice runs before a cook. Load the water pan and practice a lift, turn and set. Better to get some practice so you get the feel of how to lift without dumping the pan. I always have a sheet pan in place to set it on (pick up one of those oil drip pans at the auto parts store). I really don't lift the mid section all that much. If I need to add fuel or add water I do it through the side door. I've also moved to cooking without water in the pan for several years now.

...when i had a 18"WSM with handles on the side, the original cover did not fit, i purchased a cover for the 22"WSM
...now that i have a 22"WSM with handles on the sides, the 22" cover does not fit,
so i purchased a cover for the 26" kettle to use on the 22"WSM.

Thanks Jim! My cover doesn't fit my 22" after the addition if handles to the side. I'll have to invest in another cover for a 26"

How big of handles are you guys installing? My cover fits the 22 w/ handles easily.

Chad, check out the Weber Fire Pit. Those are the style of handles I installed. I got the idea from Jim Lampe. I like the Weber look. I realized that these were going to get dirty over time and if they got too mukie, I can replace the plastic part. They resemble the ones on the kettle lids somewhat. The cover supplied by Weber for the 22" WSM will not fit with these handles.
004.jpg

Here, these are the ones I decided to go with. I posted my mods yesterday evening, you can see this and the other ones I decided to do. All of these came from other good people here and on the home page under modifications, there's so many.
Good luck!:wsm:

Last edited:

Back