Charcoal/2 Meats

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Couple items... I went to Wal Mart today to get my Kingsford to use on my BRITU... I saw a couple things that interested me.... They had a bag of "REAL FLAVOR LUMP CHARCOAL" made with 100% natural wood... They also carried a product called "EVERFLAME CHARCOAL LOGS" Anybody out there have an opinion on either of these products?

Also, I am going to fire the WSM up sometime this week to do the BRITU.. My wife is really not a "rib" person, yet she loves chicken... I was going to try to do the ribs along with one of the recipes in "CHICKEN CHICKEN"... Should I put the ribs or the chicken on top ? Any suggestions would be appreciated, as this is really my first attempt at anything real serious in the smoker...
THANKS !
Gary

Gary,
I've seen those Everflame logs at the local Wal-Mart,but have't tried them. They seemed to be a little expensive to me. If you should try them let me know how they work.
I think I would put chicken on top. I believe they will get done quicker than ribs.
Notice that you are my neighbor. I live about 45 miles south of El Dorado. Isn't Searcy a little N.East of Little Rock.
Billy Gardner

I would cook the chicken on top because I think it benefits more from the higher heat it will get on the top grate. However, some people don't like chicken juices dripping on other meats below and would choose to cook ribs over chicken.

Sorry, but I don't have experience with either of those two fuels.

Regards,
Chris

Do not use the Real Flavor lump charcoal! I used it for smoking and grilling and it gave the meat a horrible taste. The wife noticed on some chicken that I grilled and commented on the taste. One smell of it burning and you can start guessing that the misc. wood that is used in this stuff is not good for cooking.

SC Que

When it comes to cooking 2 meats at once, ai would be very leery about cooking the chicken on top. Chicken is one of those agricultural products that still poses health risks-a restaurant here in kc got a number of people sick with salmonilla because someone put chicken over the beans in the pit. I would cook ribs on top, wrap them and let them sit while I finished the chicken on the hotter part of the grill.

good luck,
charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back