CHAR-BROIL RECALL (or why friends don't let friends smoke with propane...)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PeterD:
May be a little OT for a Weber forum but a fellow Q enthusiast may have one of these and I'd hate to see anything bad happen! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yikes, thanks for helping to get the word out on that.

I'm sorry, but it's a garbage brand. I wish I had been a wiser man when I bought a Char-Broil when I moved into my house. It's already withering away while my pretty weber sits there humbly saying "more meat please to make me happy". My mother's Genesis is still going strong after 20 years of consuming cow after cow and chkn after chkn. Urggghhhh, stupid Lowe's deals

Thank you for posting Peter. I certainly hope no other members on this board have this smoker.

I did own one of these this spring for about 3 weeks. (I know... it's not a weber and I do know better.) I had tons of problems with this smoker, the temp just couldn't go low enough without blowing out. The water in the water pan (1 gal+/-)would boil away in about 30 minutes and the food was more steamed than anything else. The third and fouth times I used the unit it left black soot all over everything - including the food. Therm was off about 100°- no biggie, but still unacceptable. After contacting customer service 3 times, cleaning-cleaning-and-cleaning, and having replacement parts sent I took it back. I thought CB was better with the number of units you see in the marketplace - sure fooled me!

The refund back covered the first half of my new performer; the SWMBO pitched in the other half for my B-day. This has turned out to be one of the best mistakes I have made.

I know it is not the same model but it is the same company that makes it and you guys are scaring me here.

I am planning to buy the Char-Broil Big Easy in October. Should i avoid this?

elmo

My experiences with Char-broil have been uniformly bad. They make products that look great at Home Despot or Crappy Tire, etc, but will start rusting out almost immediately. They are made for a market where customers are buying base on a low price point, period. If you don't mind buying a new unit every 3 years, go for it. Otherwise, spend the money to get a piece of quality equipment. Gasser, smoker, what have you. You'll regret cheaping-out.

Back