Char basket vs. fire bricks?

IMG_0244.jpegIMG_0245.jpeg
Some people in this forum are using the charcoal ring from a WSM. The char baskets are just for size reference but this is another way to keep the charcoal off of the bowl.

I tried the firebrick method and was underwhelmed. Baskets are easier for me, others show some really outstanding results with them, I just didn’t like it.
Wife‘s son got me a set of HEAVY 304 baskets and life has been “gas through silk” since. Now, they are all dirty and well “seasoned” I wish I’d gotten a spare set as these aren’t available anymore.
To be clear, these will probably outlive me but, when one has three 22’s at the ready a second set would be convenient.

Firebricks with Bro N sear, plus covering the cool side of the charcoal grates to re-direct heat to the hot side
seems to be a good solution.

smoking-on-weber-bricks.jpg

I used to simply bank coals to the side with just firebricks. This allowed me to add a lot of fuel for a 8-10 hour low & slow.
Then I started seeing people using the slow N' sear, and then seeing the bro n' sear mod for converting Weber char baskets to one larger basket. I use the bro n' sear combined with firebricks as a way to contain ambient heat to the Hot zone.

I have found a lot of success controlling tempos with this method.

Back