Changed Genesis 330 from NG to LP, but now low flame

RobNM

TVWBB Member
Hey guys question for you. I just changed my Weber Genesis 330 from natural gas to LP.
Purchased a new LP manifold, Weber LP gas line and thought this would be it. I went to do my 1st cook and not getting hardly any flames. Why is there so little gas coming through. I'm sure I missed something.
Thanks everyone

Where did you get the Manifold?
One thing you might be experiencing is vapor lock where the safety device in the tank or regulator is tripped. If you open the tank fast or if there is a burner valve open when you do, it senses that sudden rush of gas as a large leak and shuts down flow.
Shut down all valves, shut down tank, disconnect tank, let it all sit for a minute.
Reconnect tank, make sure it is a good seal at the tank. Then "SLOWLY" open the tank valve. Once it is a turn or two open, you can open it all the way. Then open the first burner and light it. Then the rest of the burners. If that doesn't work, check for leaks from the tank to manifold by spraying soapy water on all the connections and looking for bubbles. You might want to also try it with a different LP Tank. Beyond that, I would start looking at the regulator.

I purchased the manifold off of eBay. It is a genuine Weber manifold for my grill. Brand new. I will try what you mentioned about the LP. I just swapped out and got a new tank.

Something is screwy here. If you were sold an NG manifold instead of an LP manifold, you would have the opposite problem...flames too high. The most obvious thing to look at is the regulator. Did you also get an LP regulator as part of the gas line and manifold? Note that an NG regulator would limit you to about 7"WC gas pressure vs 11"WC that is needed for LP

Something is screwy here. If you were sold an NG manifold instead of an LP manifold, you would have the opposite problem...flames too high. The most obvious thing to look at is the regulator. Did you also get an LP regulator as part of the gas line and manifold? Note that an NG regulator would limit you to about 7"WC gas pressure vs 11"WC that is needed for LP
That's kind of what I was thinking Ed. That's why I wanted to see a picture of what he had. Rob, the hose on your manifold should look like this one.Screenshot_20220630-164403_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Tried everything and the fire is barely there. Wtfudge?????
My reply to you got wiped out when this thread got moved over so I don't know if you saw it. Post a picture of your new manifold and the hose that's on it so we can help you figure this out.

It could be a bad hose. I've seen hoses look fine externally and be collapsed internally. Happens a lot on brake hoses but any hose of this type can have the issue

It doesn't make sense, because LP orifices are smaller than NG orifices, and if your valves were for the wrong gas, the same would be true. It takes more NG to produce the same flame output as propane, so there is probably some issue with the gas supply. Liquid propane burns very hot with less gas than natural gas. So having the wrong manifold or orifice for propane would result in much LARGER flames than you want, not smaller.

Yeah definitely something really weird here or not all the facts whether held intentionally or not

Thank you everyone. I will snap a pick of the hose but I did buy an Weber LP hose brand new. I'm at a loss on what else I missed.

Whati will do is take pics of the old manifold NG, ( which I was thinking of selling ) and the new LP manifold, the part number, and the hose connection.

I hear you. I turned in a return request for the manifold. I'm wondering if I should just cut my losses and sell my NG and buy a new LP model. I looked at the hose and it doesn't appear to look crushed but who knows.

Attachments

• PXL_20220705_204447559.jpg
    PXL_20220705_204447559.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20220705_204431759.jpg
    PXL_20220705_204431759.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 8
I hear you. I turned in a return request for the manifold. I'm wondering if I should just cut my losses and sell my NG and buy a new LP model. I looked at the hose and it doesn't appear to look crushed but who knows.
A year ago I converted my E330 from NG to LP.

I could not find an LP manifold anywhere, so I bought orifices and a regulator.

It works for me. I've been warned it's not the best way and even read that here before I did it.

I've been hesitant to suggest this, but I'll post a link in a few minutes

@RobNM I sent the link via private message for what I bought for my E330.

YMMV, caveat emptor, and all the other warnings that go along with it.

That said, mine works fine.

Back