cga vs smokey joe ?

wellllllll, let me tell ya ! having both and having used both, i almost think that they are to far apart to be considered competition. i know that doesn't make sense. the cga burns hot enough but won't really burn anything badly. the sj seems to get hotter and can burn yer food if yer not watching. the reason for this is that its easy to add a lot more charcoal to the sj. i would say the sj has a bit more room but it really depends on what you want and how you want to cook it.
anyway, if you need or can only have one then i would say the sj wins. but if you can have both then i think you would be extremely happy with the cga.

Well, the G-A folds up into more of a compact size and shape for storage and travel but I can't imagine there are too many situations where that's an issue with the SJ.

For the 2012 baseball season I'm switching from the SJ to the G-A for tailgating. With the G-A I can get a very even bed of coals and line up the brats and sausages, although to be perfectly honest when just cooking 3-5 links on the SJ that's not really a problem.

I just bought both on craigslist and am in the process of cleaning them up so i havent been able to cook on either of them yet. One plus of the sj that i can see is the abililty to be affordably turn into a quality smoker, which i am hoping to.do with mine. George is the expert on cga's though
icon_smile.gif

no real expert ! i think they have their own plusses enough that it would justify owning both if possible. and i di forget to mention that the sj does esily convert to a mini smoker.

thanks all I figured those pros and cons I am trying to justfy to the wife I need another as if two SJ are not enough...

I like my bosses philo...If you want it then it becomes a need
icon_wink.gif
HAHAHA

if she don't want you to get it then start lookin at big offset brochures with the prices or better yet some corvette or ferrari brochures around.

George I literally LOL when I read your thoughts and I must say I like the way you think. I even read it to the wife so she could get a good laugh!
Back to the subject, me personally I like my SJG & SJP because the cooking is the same as the larger kettles because of the shape and design is the same being rounded for the heat distribution evenly hence why the kettles are designed the way and shaped like they are and why they cook fabulous. I personally have no desire for the CGA, but I sure love any chance to get all the other Weber kettle models to add to the collection and cooking arsenal.

glad she laughed with us rather than smacking you upside yer head ! i would suggest getting a ga if you find one cheap. adds another dimension to cooking. but no, don't get it if its over $20.

Back