Center Cut Loin Roast on the Performer

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
My wife was at the local Super Market and they had a Hormel "ready to cook" small center cut pork loin roast marked marked down (apparently it was approaching the "sell by date"). The price was too good to pass up. She intended to roast it in the oven.

I "intervened" as I NEEDED some grill time. It was vacuum packed in seasoning and was, in effect, already brined. It was a small roast - just 1½ lbs. That was a near perfect size for the two of us. I normally prefer my loin fresh but-t-t-t, here it was.

We had recently done "Sweet and Spicy Apricot Glazed Pork and Pineapple Kebobs" from "Meatwave.com". They were a really big hit so I decided to use the glaze for the Loin.

I set up the Performer with two fire bricks dividing the charcoal grate in two (put the bricks across the middle). I dumped a full Weber Chimney of lit Kingsford Original behind the bricks, pre-heated the grill for five minutes. I cleaned and oiled the grates and made ready.

I have no action shots as time was a bit of a problem at the time.

I removed the roast from the cryo pack and just put it on the grill. No other seasoning or prep was required - NONE. I seared the roast on all three "sides" then placed on the indirect side to bring the internal temperature to my target temp of 145 degrees. After ten minutes indirect, I flipped the roast and swapped ends to make sure of even cooking. After ten minutes more, the internal temp suggested it was time to sauce. I brushed the entire top and sides with the home made Apricot/Chipotle sauce, let it continue three minutes covered on indirect, then flipped it, sauced it on the bottom and gave it three minutes more to set the sauce. I pulled it off and let it sit five minutes+ to rest. We had one meal off it and it was, as the British say, "CAPITAL"! The seared outside along with the sauce was absolutely WONDERFUL!

Oh, I neglected to mention I had some of the warmed sauce alongside the plates as needed/wanted.

I will admit that I was more than a bit prejudiced against "prepared" meats. Well, I WILL be having this product again, and again, I assure you!

Today, we decided to slice the left overs for sandwiches. It was as good cold as it was hot. I used Honey/Mustard for a condiment and it nicely complemented the meat (still moist and "Oh, SO-O-O Tender").

Here's a couple of snaps from today:

Total time from opening the meat package to finished was under one hour. YMMV The next time you are pressed for time for a REALLY good meal (or some friends drop in unexpectedly) you might want to try this. My brand was "Hormel Center Cut Seasoned Loin Roast).

I'm a "charcoal kind of guy" but this would absolutely work well on a gas grill, too. And-d-d, on those bad weather days, you could do this in the oven:rolleyes: (not that I would ever do such a thing:o)...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
Looks good. I often see these, but thus far have not picked one up. I will now, for sure! Thanks.

Apparently, Photobucket is down. I hope that it is temporary.

Thanks for the kind words, folks. I suspect that I will be running those Hormel Pork Roasts in my Performers for some time. They are THAT good!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

That looks great,I have been buying Tender loins marinated with different spices here lately from Walmart done on the grill have been great,rosemary and olive oil is a keeper.

I Have found most of the prepacked ones are too salty for me. I tried a couple and could not eat more than one slice. Besides, making up a marinade is half the fun, isn't it?

Back