Cedar-plank Tilapia

Mike Hartwell

TVWBB Pro
I found some nice filets at my local grocer, thot they would be good grilled.
I had a cedar plank, so why not?
Soaked the plnk, sprinkled it and the fish with Old Bay, squeezed on some lime.
Got the grilll going nice and hot and set the corn on.
The fish was on about 15 minutes, about 5 minutes too long, but my wife is somewhat icky about juicy fish.
The fish came off at 165 degrees, so nice and dry (I've learned to live with it), but the first thing I heard was:"this tastes like I'm eating a piece of wood."
Yup...tasted just like cedar, even the corn picked up little bit.
Tilapia has such a mild taste, I am wondering if anybody else has tried to plank it with something else.
Any thoughts?

I don't use cedar planks for thin fillets like tilapia. I use them for thick cuts of salmon and sea bass, and thicker cuts of cod. Of course, sometimes I put the fish right on the oiled grate.

I don't do much tilapia anymore, but when I do, I use lightly oiled foil.

I've planked Salmon, but never tilapia. That's an easy one to grill, assuming you can keep it from sticking.

I prefer alder over cedar, but that's for me. With very mild fish, I tend to brush a light coat of veggie oil on the plank.

Also, how long did you soak the plank? it may have burned instead of smoked. Generally, I think they recommend 4hrs, but I tend to just soak it over night.

As a side topic, I like to lay a layer of romaine between the plank and fish. Gives it a really nice taste.

Back