CE help

Tommy B (Okie)

While searching the forums I have come across many amazing pics of the illusive chuck eye steak. I have a pretty good understanding on what they should look like, and I know that they are like the neighbor across the street to the ribeye. So here is my problem. :confused: When I stopped by the local butcher shop today, I requested some 1 1/4" thk. CE's. The butcher went back to the cooler and brought out a cyro-vac boneless chuck roll. She proceeded to do some trimming on the chuck roll, and then she cut out the eye portion of the roll. This threw me off a bit because all the pics I've seen had the eye and what I call the lip still attached. But the cut she made was strictly the eye portion. Since I am a noob when it come to CE's, I acted like it was the norm. The pieces I got have really nice marbiling, and I'm sure they will be quite tasty. But, it sure don't look like a ribeye unless you only had the eye portion of the steak. So my question is what the heck did I get? A partial chuck eye? Is this a normal variance of the CE steak? All I know is the price seemed alright. $4.09/lb Thanks in advance.

Tommy

I'm under the impression that the CE steak was part of the same muscle as ribeye/delmonico, just not as large. Sort of like how a whole tenderloin has a thick end and a thin end. Why don't you post a pic of it and see if someone can identify it?

Here are a few pics of the chuck eyes. Hoping to grill em' tonight. :D Thanks for all the input, they look very similar to the ones in the link you posted Timothy.

8667ee61.jpg

e5a29ab9.jpg

6457a0cb.jpg

Tommy

Last edited:
Those look about perfect to me a little seasoning and on to the grill. They come out nice and soft and tasty. Jim Lampe got me hooked on them I have had them thick,and thin, both are good cuts. Do up a couple of your favorite sides and it is dinner time.

well..... how were they??

They turned out great! Cooked em' to about 140 degrees, ended up being a nice medium finish after rest. I was really suprised by the flavor and tenderness. The wife approved too. :D I will definately be adding CE's to my grocery list from now on.

d6bc08bc.jpg

I don't know if you guys have any Homeland stores in Tulsa, but I live close to Muskogee and I buy chuck-eyes at homeland frequently and they're very good. I just finished eating one that I bought there actually.

Back