CCW Licensing

Bob Walter's post above sounds like the way the officer started out the CCW class that I attended about 15-20 yrs ago. All very good points. All are easy to agree with in principle. As is the case with most theory v. application, things change in a hurry in a life/death situation and things happen very fast.

Protect your family. Make sure that you have a good attorney. Shielding assets in a trust may also be a good idea in some states.

I was Christmas shopping with my 24 year old daughter last week, to avoid traffic on a main road we cut through the parking lot of a shopping center that bridged two roads......... Right by a firearm store.

I had been asking her what she wanted for Christmas, jokingly I said "would you like a gun for Christmas?"

It surprised me when she immediately said "yes!". she has never said that she wanted anything quite as positively as she said that. Not even when she got a new car.

She's a physician assistant student, lives by herself without a roommate, and has been doing night shift hospital ER clinical rotation. She said it gets scary at night where she is.

It's a little late for Christmas this year, already spent way too much money. But I think next year she'll be getting a handgun and concealed carry classes. most likely, next to a car, that'll be the best present she ever got in her eyes.

Last edited:
I have held concealed permits in several states over the last 30 years.

The intent is to train you to be responsible with with a firearm, learn safety and teach your family what it is to have a live weapon in the house. Go to the range and practice. Be ready to defend your home against an intruder. That is the most likely event you will ever have to use it.

I’ve never drawn and don’t expect to. But if I ever have to protect myself or my family, I can.

I don’t carry any special insurance, either. Drawing that weapon means life or death, not, “hey, leave me alone”. Pulling a gun without firing it to defend yourself will likely land you in prison. Therefore, you must be extremely cautious and understand the huge step you take if you draw that weapon.

I have a CCW permit, but rarely carry.
Not long after getting my permit we became a permitless carry state.
"Open carry and concealed carry are legal in Missouri for anyone 19 years or older who can legally possess a firearm, with or without a concealed carry permit (CCP). "

Mo. should have left the law the way it was. At least back then, you actually had to take the training course.
Why anyone would even entertain the idea of carrying a weapon without a training course is beyond me.

I’ve had a CCW since 2002. I carry except at work and anywhere else where it is prohibited. I have a quick access safe in the home, which I highly recommend purchasing.

As for feeling like a tough guy, carrying has had the exact opposite effect on me. I’m more cautious and make a conscious effort to avoid situations where I could find myself in confrontations.

I’ve never had to show it but there have been times over the past 18 years when I’ve been glad it was with me.

Back