Caveman steaks for Father's Day

CullenJ

TVWBB Super Fan
I know I'm almost a week out posting these, but I've been meaning to. I saw the post here about caveman steaks and remembered reading about them ages ago, so I decided to give it a go for Father's Day. I got two 1 1/2-inch porterhouses from my local meat shop, seasoned them lightly with salt and pepper and threw 'em on some lump.

Here they are right on the coals:
IMAG1120.jpg

Almost done:
IMAG1128.jpg

About to rest:
IMAG1129.jpg

Plated with baked potato, corn and covered in caramelized onions:
IMAG1131.jpg

Oh, I forgot to add, I really like the doneness of them - cooked five minutes per side - but I actually find my regular method produces a better sear. I normally sear them over direct heat with the coals cranked right up under the grill. It's almost like putting them right on the coals but with the cast-iron grate barrier.

Looks great! But im with the camp that dont find a need for the CM steak. If you own a CIG then put one of the insert direct on the coal...Let it heat up and then rock on. A 6mm gap between the steak and the coals will help the coals to burn hotter and the steak not to touch the coals. Dont wanna take anything away from ya...It looks TASTY!

I agree, Wolgast. I think the extra distance is good. I prefer them when I good them on my CIG with the coals cranked up right beneath them.

That said, these were pretty good.

Lookin' Great Cullen!
Those are also known as western or cowboy steaks... i guess because back in the olden days, while on the range, the cowpokes did not have a grate to cook on (travelin' light, ya know) so they'd just drop the slabs of beef on the fire to sear-um up....
I've done this a few times with terrific AND tasty results!
Cullen, again, you make this look easy and inspirational!

Back