Cattlemans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dale,

I have never tried it, however, I have seen several discussions here and elsewhere about it being a good sauce to use as a base that you then tweek to get it where you want.

Suppose to be used by many non-Q restaraunts as their basic barbecue sauce. I've always been curious myself how it tastes I just didn't want to have to buy a gallon of it from Sam's and then find out I don't care for it.

Bruce, I am with you on not wanting to waste money on a gallon of sauce. I tell you what, Ill flip a coin and you call heads or tails to see who trys it first. lol
Dale

I know this is completely subjective, but I dislike Cattleman's sauce. It's a thick KC-type of sauce, and to me it seems a little harsh and one-dimensional. It would need doctoring to become something I would appreciate.

Dale,
I was in Wal-Mart in Decatur Alabama last week and just happeded to notice that they now had Cattlemans in smaller bottles. I do use it as a base and thin it down and heat it up.

john

I buy Cattleman's at times and use it as a base. It doesn't taste that good to me without adding other things to it. It was about 7 or 8 dollars and it lasted me quite a while. If I go to Florida this summer I will try Sonny's bbq sauce as a base. I hear it is pretty good. Sam's carry that in Florida.

They were just talking about this sauce on Foodnetwork yesterday. They said its the sauce most restaraunts and Q joints use as a base, then just DR. it up.

Well im cooking 4 butts thursday night for a party and wanted to try it because of the volume and the ease of it. Lazy huh.. I might stick with an old faithful this time.
Dale

I have bought Cattlemen's Smoky from Sam's...it's just ok by itself. It definitely needs to be fixed up. I posted a question over on the bbqforum.com about suggestions on fixing this sauce up and received no responses (typical for my posts on that forum). Here's a link to French's Food Service...they have quite a variety of sauces.
http://www.frenchsfoodservice.com/cattlemens/article.asp?articleID=15
The Sam's in my area (DFW) only carry's the Smoky variety...I think Wal-mart carry's something different in smaller containers. If anyone here has a suggestion on fixing this sauce up let me know.

Well Bruce I flipped a coin and I lost. I have to tell you there is a reason that C mans sauce is priced cheap. Dont like it and tomorrrow will be try to fix a gallon of yuck to something eatable. Like my wife said and I agree with her, you get what you pay for. Dont get me wrong, it probably can be doctored up but straight out of the bottle it is just to thick, and too ... I dont know, maybe "k r a f t like"? I did a taste test on my little girl and bone suckin sauce won hands down.
I have to agree with her.
Dale

I have used the Cattleman's smokey for a big catering job and doctored it up the following way. For mild I added a 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup of honey to an entire bottle. For spicey I added 2 Tbs of celery seeds, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and enough ground chipotle powder to get a nice kick. I agree that it is not a good sauce strait out of the bottle but it was fairly easy for me to get it to a point where most people really liked it. Next time I might try thinning it down with a little apple juice to make it flow a little better.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back