Catering

dsitterson

TVWBB Super Fan
Have wanted to do this for a while. I have done some large cook outs. I have one bbe competetions. I want and love to cook for people I am just trying to figure out the money part. I have done chickens for school pratrol and sausages for bike week. Just wat the good and the bad. My friends wife has a catering business but does not do bbq so have a referral network started. Brother in law rent margarita machines so there is anothe source of referrals. Just want some input from you folks. Pulled some info from georgia university about catering but just wanted the good and the bad.

On some of the other forums, there are quite a few guys who cater, think there is actually a catering forum on the smoke ring

I've been asking Chris for years to add a catering section to TVWB. Alas, to no avail.
icon_biggrin.gif
But I guess he knows what he's doing, 10 years and still going and growing. Congratulations Chris!

There are other catering resources, here's one: catering forum

Rick

You know, I have been hit up for some catering too. People ask me what I charge and I'm not really sure how to figure costs. The last one was for a group of 40 and I was just reimbursed for my expenses (I had agreed to this as it was mainly people from my church). I had a couple of guys ask about catering in the spring and other than "Yes, I can do it", I have no earthly idea about what is a fair price to charge.

I started a BBQ shack and catering a couple of years ago. I started on a trial and error type of thing. It took me several jobs to make the figuring easier.

Another thing there was an excel file posted here last year sometime that some on another forum posted up, I believe. Anyhow I downloaded it and have used it with good results. On the beef and butt the defalt value he used for raw to cooked was right on. I don't remember where it is at. I will do a search and see if I can find it. Other wise I can email it to you.

Where I live the regulations are so tough, you might as well open up a restaurant. You cannot use your home kitchen and they are very strict about that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dale Perry:
Where I live the regulations are so tough, you might as well open up a restaurant. You cannot use your home kitchen and they are very strict about that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dales right, cover your butt!!

Contact your local Health Department for regulations.

In my case I charge 4 times my costs, that includes meat, rubs, fuel, sauce, everything it takes to pull it off.

The low end on my menu is $18.95 (butt, chicken, three side, deserts, plates and flat ware) and we go up from there depending on the menu.

We will match fine wines to menu if requested.

Jim

I charge a flat fee plus food/expenses. It usually works out to $20/person on the low end up to around $45/person. One can structure fees many ways--it usually is more of a mental thing, how it works out best for you to think about it. Bottom line: make money. That way you continue to enjoy it.

Back