Catching Turkey Drippings on WSM Question

NAR_Simpson

TVWBB Fan
What is the best way to Catching Turkey Drippings on WSM? Place Turkey in pan on top rack or place Turkey on top rack and pan on the lower rack?

Any pros / cons in either way? Thanks in advance.

I placed my turkey on the top rack and an aluminum pan on the bottom, didn't have any issues. Great gravy

I did my first turkey this past weekend and forgot the pan on the bottom grate. However, I had foiled the water pan. Poured that off into a measuring cup and captured nearly two cups of drippings. Made some awesome onion gravy with it with plenty of reserve for another date.

I too used a foiled water pan to catch the drippings. Though I will probably use a disposable foil pan on the bottom rack (with the turkey on the top) next time. I'm hoping doing so will make it easier to retrieve the drippings w/out burning myself after the bird is off, plus the foil pan will probably be easier to deal with than the large, extremely hot, bowl that doesn't set anywhere nicely, once inside the house. Of course if I had more hands out at the smoker I could probably pour off the drippings outside. Sorry, I'm rambling.

Whatever you do, I would not recommend putting the turkey in the same pan you're using to catch drippings. I read somewhere, and it made sense to me, that the pan could prevent the bird from cooking evenly.

Whatever you do, I would not recommend putting the turkey in the same pan you're using to catch drippings. I read somewhere, and it made sense to me, that the pan could prevent the bird from cooking evenly.

Yes, that's was I was fearing as well if I put the Turkey in the pan on the top rack.

Ryan- I have a rib/roast rack that I used when I cook mine. I place the turkey on the rack inside an aluminum pan to catch drippings, all sitting on the top food grate of the WSM.

I've done it both ways: turkey on the top rack, disposable foil pan on the bottom, but add some stock to keep the drippings from burning esp if going HH.
I don't get why some think that using pans causes meat to cook UN-even.. The WSM is basically an outdoor oven, and using pans in an indoor oven works all the time.
Google " Apple brined turkey with big time gravy " and you'll see that it's done in a disposable foiled pan.:wsm:

Tim

I've done it both ways: turkey on the top rack, disposable foil pan on the bottom, but add some stock to keep the drippings from burning esp if going HH.
I don't get why some think that using pans causes meat to cook UN-even.. The WSM is basically an outdoor oven, and using pans in an indoor oven works all the time.
Google " Apple brined turkey with big time gravy " and you'll see that it's done in a disposable foiled pan.:wsm:

Tim

Absolutely agree. The drippings will burn unless there is additional liquid.

Tim

I get that the WSM is basically an oven, but unless I'm remembering wrong (which is possible) the article that I read was cautioning against uneven cooking when using roasting pans regardless of the oven. The bottom line of that article was to make sure your bird (or whatever you're roasting) is high enough out of the roasting pan (i.e. on a roasting rack) to ensure enough airflow and even cooking.

I saw a recipe on here last year that worked well for drippings but I can't find it. If anyone remembers can they point me in the right direction? It involved a foil pan under the bird with some chicken stock, celery, carrots, and the turkey neck and innards. It turned out well for some amazing gravy but I can't seem to track it down this year. Any help would be appreciated.

Back