Cast Iron Smoker

Big Dave

TVWBB Member
I picked up a Vogelzang cast iron stove, which I plan to use as the heat source for my 55 gallon drum. I'll run some stove pipe from the stove to the drum. I'm assuming there is no health concern with the vented smoke coming from the stove into the drum. I've been searching the web to see if others have smoked in this fashion, and haven't found much. So I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything in regards to toxins/health.

If anyone has any input, it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Basically your making yourself an offset smoker so I wouldn't think it would be a big deal. The only problem you might have is draft through the stove. Not sure how the configuration will work with your stove pipe since the stove probably vents off the top and you want the heat/smoke going into the bottom of your barrel. You may need some kind of temperature controlled fan assist. Can you post a pick of the stove. I've been thinking of doing something similar with a 1950's era fridge and a smoker box.

Here's a link to what I got. I plan on having the drum sit on saw horses and maybe have the stove pipe go in at the lower side. Mentally I have a cool picture of how it would turn out. The bonus with this kind of stove, are the hot plates so, you can have coffee or a skillet going while smoking.

wood burning stove

Are you getting one of the smaller units? If so, will it hold enough fuel for the duration of your cook? If not will reloading the burn cycle cause broad temp fluctuations? I have a woodstove (keeping me toasty today) my burn cycle is about 3 hours until I have to reload. Different sizes have different durations.

Not saying it will be an issue, just thinking about it with you.

W your wood stove is putting out a lot more btu's than Dave needs from his cast iron stove. If your raising the barrel above the stove I don't see a problem. Keep in mind that your not getting a clean burn if your keeping the temps from the stove low so you will build up creosote in the stove and stove pipe. You should burn this off frequently. Not sure how the primary air enters the stove but if you could rig something up with a stoker fan I think you'll have a pretty cool cooker.

I agree...a stoker fan may be needed. I have read about the creosote concern, so I may have to go for the shorter high temp smokes in this rig. I've got the medium size stove, so I'm guessing it should allow for some good burn time.

Creosote will build over time. A good hot fire in the stove once in awhile will take care of it. Maybe just replace the stove pipe once in a while to prevent problems from that. Stove pipe will also have a coating of oil from the manufacturing so make sure you burn it off before your first cook. I would have no problems doing low and slow with this. Wether or not you need the stoker will be determined by your first cook. If your putting the barrel above the stove it should be ok as long as the stove has a good damper on the primary air intake. This has me intrigued since I've been thinking of doing something similar for years but haven't found the stove.

I had bought the drum with intentions on making it a self contained smoker. Then a few months back I had seen a picture (I believe it was on this site)of a port-a-body turned into a smoker, with a little wood burning stove, piped to it. Not having a port-a-body handy...I decided the next best thing was my 55 gallon drum. I was lucky to have found the stove for $50 on Craigslist. It will give me a good project to work on...whenever this 10 degree weather breaks!
Thank you for all the info.

I recall a few years ago when plans for smoking rigs like the one you are thinking about building were all over the net. Some used wood stoves, some used another 55 gallon drum with some home made adjustable vents. I don't see why this won't work. As a matter of fact, you don't actually have to raise your smoking drum over your stove. You only have to raise the exhaust stack to get a good draft. Good luck Dave, I would love to hear a report on how you make out.

I did just learn that the rope gaskets they use in my particular stove could be toxic. They do make non-toxic rope gaskets so I'm checking on which gasket I have.

Back