Cast Iron Restoration

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
I came across a method for restoring rusty, sticky cast iron pans that have seen better days. I could do a copy/paste but it's easier to just post the link. It's a method I've read about elsewhere but never needed (as I already have a maintenance schedule that I follow religiously). It is a fairly lengthy process but it describes exactly how to do it.

Cast Iron Pan Restoration method.

I read about this a year or two back and thought it was a great idea, but nowadays my CI just seems to take care of itself. I use EVOO Avocado for the most part, peanut sometimes if I'm frying. My CI comes clean with such little effort, & I've lost my fear of ruining the seasoning..... Mine work as well as described at the end of the article.

I had a pan develop a little rust several months or a year ago & I just cleaned & oiled it & put it back into circulation. Not sure how I'd handle one I found in a barn.........

Thanks Len. I have a great Lodge chili pot and a standard CI pan that I've cleaned and seasoned normally for the past few years. I'll try the flax oil next time I need to season the pan (admittedly, I neglect the pan but take good care of the pot as I love chili). Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with the normal care and performance. I guess, if you're taking the time to re-season and have the time over a few days, it would be a cool project to go the distance.

Just today I used some of the Camp Chef CI conditioner on and old pan hat had some rust on it. It looks like new.

Back