Cast Iron Pizza Pan

Now that's an interesting point. Would have never expected that, but then I've never done a comparison. Got tired of the stone real fast a few years ago. For various reasons.

Not saying one is good/bad - just find this an interesting point.

In the end I want to try plain old pizza screens in the Performer this season to see how that compares to the screen method indoors.

I really do believe that it's about setting up in the right air/temp space. After that the cook is short and it doesn't matter what the pie is sitting on. Just a theory for now.

The best analogy would be with the water pan in the WSM. Stopped putting water in it for a long, long time.

I agree, I have a screen, but have never used it for pizza. I bet it would work great indirect away from the fire. I also never used water in the water pan, ever. Thanks again Ray!

Thanks for the follow up pics Shaun. I've found that (for multiple pizzas in one cook) you can make your first pie on the CI a little "healthier" with ingredients. The ones that follow it should be sparsely topped and a bit thinner crusted IMHO.

Hey Rita,

I just got a 18.5" Kettle Pizza rig and recently paid a visit to the Lodge Factory Store in South Pittsburg, TN. I'll report back once I start making pizza(s) on a stone & CI Lodge pizza pan. There's also a factory store in Commerce.

Ken (ready for pizza)

ps: General Hardware in beautiful downtown Brookhaven has a BIG selection of CI.

Hi Ken, it will be interesting to compare the two results.

I'm not familiar with General Hardware but will have to look it up for my next trip to your new Costco in Brookhaven.

I made 2 (12") pizzas on my Genesis gasser last night. Peeled that pizza onto the hot stone when the temperature got to 750°, closed the lid, and the heavens opened up and cooled that grill right down to about 400-450° in 2 minutes. The stone held its heat, but the tops of our pizzas were a little, how shall I say it,....blond?

Rita

Back