Cast Iron Pizza Pan

Joe,

Thanks for that link. After some of the reviews I have seen, I think I am going to pick me up a lodge.

Also, thank you even more for your avatar. Got me wondering if it was a TSHIRT, typed it in bing, and found them on ebay for $20.50 shipped. Couldn't resist.

Originally posted by Rita Y:
I'm getting interested in this pan to use on my grill, but did anyone see this on the Amazon site?

"Oven-safe to 400 degrees F."

That's a pretty low temperature to cook pizza. I do mine at ~700° on my gasser on a raised stone.

What temperatures are y'all baking at? Oven or grill? Are you seasoning it after every use?

Rita
I never did see that on the site. I have had it at just below 700. No reseasoning, and no other problems. I just wonder why it would say that
icon_confused.gif

I have emailed Lodge about the specific high temperatures needed for best pizza cooking (550° for oven and ~700° for grill) and how those temperatures might affect the seasoning, in an attempt to pin them down. It's late on Friday, so I don't expect an answer until Monday. Will let you know ASAP.

I wrote them earlier today to find out the exact diameter of the cooking area and a question about seasoning it. Here is Customer Service's reply.

I suspect she might be slightly inexperienced, or new to the job. I hope she can find someone who will give her a definitive answer to the temperature question. At least she tried, and went to the trouble to ask someone for information.

"They tell me 14" bottom. Just maintain the seasoning by apply oil before and after each use. You can re-season as often as you like it will only help the pan." -- Lodge Customer Service

Rita

I regularly use Lodge skillets and griddles in my brick oven at over 700°F, no problem. I think that 400 degree caution is just legal talk.

cast iron melts at 2000* plus. I do not know of an oven that could be an issue.

Now thats for the metal...the seasoning is a whole nuther matter.

I regularly use Lodge skillets and griddles in my brick oven at over 700°F, no problem. I think that 400 degree caution is just legal talk.
I heard of someone doing a whole evening of blackened fish on a CI skillet. The skillet was on full burner for hours. It eventually cracked, not because of the heat alone, but because of the much cooler fish put on it. That abrupt a change in temp could do it if the CI was very hot.

Well I decided to give my stone another use, but this time I banked the Stubbs charcoal in my charcoal saver toward the back with the stone elevated on my rib rack. I highly suggest banking the coals now. I also used my "pizza props" and they really did a good job in keeping the flames licking the stone.

On!

Done! Ten minutes later. The dough rose perfectly and the bottom crust was just right.

Cut up and served.

Here's a blurry shot of the crust or "bone" perfectly risen.

So I am very happy with the results on the stone. Next time I will try the same thing only on the Lodge CI. Stay tuned this should be interesting.
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by JSMcdowell:
Joe,

Thanks for that link. After some of the reviews I have seen, I think I am going to pick me up a lodge.

Also, thank you even more for your avatar. Got me wondering if it was a TSHIRT, typed it in bing, and found them on ebay for $20.50 shipped. Couldn't resist.

No sweat... and yeah that's where I got my t-shirt too.
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Shaun R:
Well I decided to give my stone another use, but this time I banked the Stubbs charcoal in my charcoal saver toward the back with the stone elevated on my rib rack. I highly suggest banking the coals now. I also used my "pizza props" and they really did a good job in keeping the flames licking the stone.

On [/url]

So I am very happy with the results on the stone. Next time I will try the same thing only on the Lodge CI. Stay tuned this should be interesting.
icon_wink.gif

looking forward to your follow up!

Watching this thread with interest. I'm an avid CI user.

What I have used in lieu of a pizza stone in the oven (600 deg cooks) instead of a stone is vintage CI round griddles. I have Griswold in 12, 14 and 16.

I liked using them instead of stones, period.

But then I went "rogue" and discarded stones and heavy metals and simply started cooking them on screens. I think this will translate well to the Performer, but frankly haven't tried it just yet.

That said, just wanting to point out another alternative as these old round CI griddles go cheap, and I think 22" overall width is large and ungainly.

Hey - we all know that we also want paella pans without handles right? You folks know what I mean, that's another topic and another challenge
icon_cool.gif

I believe these old bail griddles (since we don't waste space for useless handles IMHO) work much better for the purpose. I'll post a sample url below.

CI at high temps over 400 degrees, don't worry about the seasoning for gosh sakes. You are going to burn it off anyway and you really don't need to care about the "non stick" advantage it brings to the purpose.

Warnings about temps above 400 degrees has more to do with liabilities about modern/cheap price point casting and materials techniques that can result in small air pockets that can split, crack, neh even explode (typically only found occasionally with Chinese import CI, never with modern Lodge).

So is Lodge a good choice for modern cast iron? YES! Better than Chinese imports due to overall quality control and concern about raw materials used.

In the end in the theme of this article, I am of the mind that you don't need a stone or any large heat sink of sorts under the pie. Just proper positioning in the hot air space because you really want to cook at 500-600 degrees for a very short period.

Screens eliminate the need to preheat everything that you are cooking on. The challenge then simplifies to the proper spacing in the cook/heat space, because in the end the actual cook time is so short - or ought to be IMHO.

In my indoor pizza cooks I have found with our old friend Bryan Stephans [sp] help that for the actual cook you do not need all this heavy gear and the pre heat that goes with it. Just preheat the oven itself (outdoor or indoor) to 500-600.

That said, it's a long story.

For purposes of this thread I would just say take a look at these old round griddles from Wagner and Griswold, they fit the purpose well. I used them after I got tired of stones as they clean up easier and will hold up forever.

These old pieces are made from very fine material no longer used today. They were also surface ground. You will NEVER have one of these pop or crack on you at any given temp (they will melt first
icon_smile.gif
)

And - at these temps you don't worry about seasoning. Get the Lodge as it's readily available or pick up or watch for something like this, they go cheap:

vintage round griddle

As far as seasoning, again who cares this is not about non stick characteristics. IMHO the trap/requirement is really about thinking you need the heat sink to cook the bottom of the crust at the same interval as the top?

You lightly oil your CI before and after and that's just to avoid rusting in this case and that's it. Dust the surface of the Lodge or these vintage griddles with flour, cornmeal before the bake and what's the worry? It will come off with your peel just fine.

I'm so used to great cooks right on a screen now in the indoor oven that I really haven't played with the outdoor gear for this.

I really believe that proper spacing in the heat chamber or zone and proper pre prep of the toppings is the key. In the end, at these temps the cook should be very short duration - 5 to 8 minutes at best IMHO.

Sorry for the long winded response. I'm loving this post and the creativity is astounding. I've loved the looks of every pie I've seen
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Oh, and I'm waiting for this topic to come up since we have some Jersey boys posting. They will know what I mean.

What's the best tomatoe pie prep? Hint: this is a trick/regional question as it applies to "tomatoe pie".

It's almost like asking what's the best "Philly Cheesesteak" Recipe.

I want everyone on this site to come to my house
icon_cool.gif

In the end isn't always about fire control?

Yeah! Bring back the round CI griddles without handles. With quality casting from quality materials. There is lots of opportunity for that in the US.

But with competition from China and the "Rim" the price points make it almost impossible to stay competitive.

Short run, "boutique" CI in our future perhaps??

While you're at it make a Paella pan that I don't need to cut the handles off of for use in the kettle
wsmsmile8gm.gif

"We don't need no steenking handles"
icon_biggrin.gif

One quality of a "real" stone though is that the moisture from the dough is more readily removed. Don't know that CI does that.

But again we are talking specific purpose and in the end the cook time is so short, is this really an issue?

But wait, then there are deep dish pies, Chicago style. Me thinks a preheated deep wall CI pan works very good for that....
icon_wink.gif

Ok - so someone give me the simple NJ traditional tomato pie sauce (no cheese, just fresh fine chopped vine ripe tomatoes and a little basil and salt I guess? Ok, maybe a little fresh oregano. Going to give that a shot.

This is a "sauce" that wasn't cooked until it went into the oven IMHO. I'm going to get this right this summer (fresh tomatoes from my FIL's garden).

I'm thinking you just need to skin and drain off the liquid well and keep it fresh, fresh, fresh.

I think Buckingham Pizzeria in PA might have had the best rendition I've ever had....

The reply from Lodge about high temperatures and if they affect the original factory seasoning:

Rita wrote: ..... Will the seasoning on the pan indeed hold up to 700° temperatures?

From Lodge Customer Service: "Yes, just maintain the seasoning by applying vegetable before and after each use."

-----------------------

Ray wrote: "One quality of a "real" stone though is that the moisture from the dough is more readily removed. Don't know that CI does that."

Ray, I'm glad that you brought that up. It would make a difference in the browning and the crispness of the crust for sure. But CI seems to get good reviews too. Probably a close second to a stone. I wish I could do a side-by-side test just for my own curiosity. We all have times when our opinions differ from the current thinking.

Rita

Originally posted by Rita Y:
The reply from Lodge about high temperatures and if they affect the original factory seasoning:

Rita wrote: ..... Will the seasoning on the pan indeed hold up to 700° temperatures?

From Lodge Customer Service: "Yes, just maintain the seasoning by applying vegetable before and after each use."

-----------------------

Ray wrote: "One quality of a "real" stone though is that the moisture from the dough is more readily removed. Don't know that CI does that."

Ray, I'm glad that you brought that up. It would make a difference in the browning and the crispness of the crust for sure. But CI seems to get good reviews too. Probably a close second to a stone. I wish I could do a side-by-side test just for my own curiosity. We all have times when our opinions differ from the current thinking.

Rita
Thanks Rita, I will be doing another pizza on my ci today and will be preheating it like the stone. I will report back with pics.

Here are the results.

The second this hit the pan it started cooking and the crust started bubbling. Yikes!

I left it for about six or seven minutes and checked it frequently during that time. Here it is right after I pulled it.

Here's a slice with a little jarred basil.Sorry for the sloppy plate, but this was my third piece.
icon_smile.gif

And in closing the crust shot!

So here's my take. I don't find it necessary to pre heat the CI. It just get's way to hot for me. I enjoy the control I have on the stone. However, I will still assemble pizzas on the CI and just set it in when the fire is ready. It can heat up while the pizza is cooking like I did on my first cook with success. These are entirely different pizza techniques. For mutiple pies I would stick with a quality stone and for just one I would use the CI. I usually only do one anyways. Another cool thing about the CI is you can do so many other things on it verses the stone. Thanks again!

Regardless it still looks great Shaun..By the way is the ci directly on the grate or is it lifted up some how?

Originally posted by james n:
Regardless it still looks great Shaun..By the way is the ci directly on the grate or is it lifted up some how?
Thanks James, I set it on the Weber rib rack. It's light and just the right height. I don't like adding too much weight on the grates because they tend to bend.

I may sound like a kook, but my wife and I think the one on the ci actually had a better tasting crust. It wasn't as dry as the one on the stone in our opinion.

Back