Cascabel Peppers

Andrew Feldman

TVWBB Member
I ordered Cascable peppers from Penzeys and was surprised to receive a bag of whole dried peppers--I thought they would be pre-ground.

Do I just remove the stem and grind? Do I use the seeds...

Thanks in advance for the help

Andrew

Andrew, are the peppers pliable? If so, you might have difficulty grinding them. If this is the case, throw them in the oven for a few minutes to dry up. Wait until they cool down and then throw them in the grinder.

If they're already dried enough to grind, I remove the seeds and stem and throw them in the grinder. Depending on what I am making, I like to toast the peppers on the stove before grinding. I would keep them whole until needed.

Erik

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I would keep them whole until needed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

they're more versatile that way and can be toasted prior to grinding as Eric said.

Cook's Illustrated has a great recipe for spanish garlic shrimp that requires whole cascable peppers. I've made the recipe a couple of times with great success using new mex peppers and have been planning on getting the required cascable next chance I get. I'd be happy to post the recipe if its something your interested in.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
Sure thing, gotta find the issue. In the mean time...got a cazuela? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't. Why do you ask, is it necessary for this recipe? Would an enameled dutch oven work?

Erik

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">is it necessary for this recipe? Would an enameled dutch oven work?

Erik </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sure, I dont see why not, the recipe shows them using an all clad type pan. The cazuela is nice because you can serve the shrimp in it and it gives it an authentic look. I also had good luck with it cooking the shrimp.

I just got my cook's illustrated out and was going to type up the recipe when Rita emailed it to me. I'd be happy to forward it to you.

Erik, I tried to email the recipe to you too, but your email is not in your profile.
icon_smile.gif

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:
Erik, I tried to email the recipe to you too, but your email is not in your profile.
icon_smile.gif

Rita </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I listed it now. Thanks Rita.

Erik

Back