Carolina Pulled Pork

For what it's worth, I placed a grill load of naturally-seasoned hickory on the 18" kettle, covered (after a cook), and let the coals burn out. Hopefully, there will be no more creosote to deal with from this load. The wood was charred in places.

Bump.

Smoked 30 lbs of butts last week, and I discovered another way of letting more air into smoker by putting the door on upside-down and shifting the bottom over the right or left. It's a small gap, but it can raise temps a few more degrees without letting in too much air...

0830161621-00.jpg

No creosote this time, thankfully!

Smoked a few Jimmy Dean sausages too! The top rack of the 18.5" WSM will hold two pound of sausage patties...

0830161737-00.jpg

Yum!

Revisiting an old thread here, but after much experimenting, I have settled on the Southern Succor rub posted often on this forum, and just using that rub alone seems to add to the woodsy flavor. On the 18.5" WSM, I like to use at least 5 tennis ball size chunks (buried) of locally harvested hickory. Creosote seems to be non-existent too. I still use Royal Oak lump, but by placing a single layer of briquettes on the bare grate (around the wood), it keeps the smaller lump pieces from falling through.

Bottom line is that I am happy with the results.

I plan to inject pineapple juice into a butt one day and see what that tastes like.

Cheers!

EDIT: For what it's worth, I found this information while looking at some dome thermometers...

Low heat cooking – Pork shoulders and ribs cooked professional barbecue chefs taste better because of the take in preparing and cooking at stable and low temperatures. These temperatures are typically below 300°F for the of time to create that flavorful bark and balance in smokiness, texture, and moisture. When cooking with wood, lower temperatures increase your volume of smoke.

Last edited:
Revisiting an old thread here, but after much experimenting, I have settled on the Southern Succor rub posted often on this forum, and just using that rub alone seems to add to the woodsy flavor. On the 18.5" WSM, I like to use at least 5 tennis ball size chunks (buried) of locally harvested hickory. Creosote seems to be non-existent too. I still use Royal Oak lump, but by placing a single layer of briquettes on the bare grate (around the wood), it keeps the smaller lump pieces from falling through.

Bottom line is that I am happy with the results.

I plan to inject pineapple juice into a butt one day and see what that tastes like.

Cheers!

EDIT: For what it's worth, I found this information while looking at some dome thermometers...

Low heat cooking – Pork shoulders and ribs cooked professional barbecue chefs taste better because of the take in preparing and cooking at stable and low temperatures. These temperatures are typically below 300°F for the of time to create that flavorful bark and balance in smokiness, texture, and moisture. When cooking with wood, lower temperatures increase your volume of smoke.

I've used that same rub for more than ten years, now. I haven't deviated from Chris' Renowned Mr. Brown recipe since joining TVWBB. Although I'm thinking of trying a mustard finishing sauce one of these days! Maybe this year? I hate to mess with (repeated) success! :)

Back