Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Cindi in KC posted this on my "Cooking Game" back in '09. She said she adapted it from a recipe she found on pepperfool.com.

Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce

12 oz. French's Brown & Spicy mustard
6 oz. tomato paste
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 TB. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. celery seed
1 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 cup water

Combine all ingredients except water in a medium saucepan and simmer on low heat for 5 minutes, until sugar is dissolved. Add water to thin sauce to desired consistency. Let cool before using.

Cindi in KC posted this on my "Cooking Game" back in '09. She said she adapted it from a recipe she found on pepperfool.com.

Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce

12 oz. French's Brown & Spicy mustard
6 oz. tomato paste
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 TB. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. celery seed
1 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 cup water

Combine all ingredients except water in a medium saucepan and simmer on low heat for 5 minutes, until sugar is dissolved. Add water to thin sauce to desired consistency. Let cool before using.
This is the profile I was looking for. I’ll use more vinegar though instead of water to get to desired thinness, or a combo of the two. And a few dashes of hot sauce (Tabasco).

THANK YOU, Joan!

Sorry for late reply.

But I cannot praise the following recipe high enough. I serve this to people who don't care for mustard and they love this. I've watched my nephew dip pretzels in it, he loves it. I keep it around all year, it goes really well with many things.

The full recipe is posted below. If there is anything on it that I would change, I reduce cider vinegar to 1/2 cup, rather than the full 2/3. You can always add the remainder of the cider vinegar if you would like more after you have tasted it.

It really is worth making.

Original source:

Back