Carnitas on the WSM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am thinking, that somewhere around 170°-175°. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, though I'd likely either fry, braise/fry, or braise to finish, depending on what the desired texture at finish.

Oh, man, this thread has got me craving some good carnitas.

I had the pleasure of living in Salinas California for about 2 years, and I got to enjoy some amazing mexican food. Tamales were everywhere!

Now I'm trying to find some achiotte paste (spelling?) without having to order it online, to have around when I start making something south of the border style.

Is there a way someone can re-post a link to the oral history of BBQ? The one that was shared doesn't seem to work.

Thanks.

I dug. It seems that SFA completely redid their website. The Oral History Project is here. Use the links on the right of the page to read the interviews. They're quite good. Memphis is well-covered as is western Tenn where, unknown by many, whole hog has reigned for a long time. At least a few of the places whose owner's were interviewed have closed. Some I have not had a chance to re-check in a while.

Thank you Kevin, for both. I wasn't sure what was in the paste either. But if its easy to make, it's likely better using the freshest, best quality seasonings and spices, I'm assuming. Rather than lesser quality stuff in the pre-packaged.

Thanks again.

It's often better though there are fine ones out there.

Btw, if Sevilles or calamondins (for the sour orange juice) are unavailable, feel free to sub water, cider vin, white wine vin, or white vin. All are common (but I'd highly recommend using sour orange if making pibil, for the marinade step). If using water for the recado you can package in small amounts, wrapping tightly, and freeze. If using juice or a vin, package the same way. Those will be shelf-stable--but I freeze or fridge anyway to keep the quality better.

Back