Cardogs Brown Sugar Cured Salmon.......Wow!

Tom K.

TVWBB Member
Just wanted to post a note of thanks to Jim Minion and Jack Rogers for sharing the recipe for the Brown Sugar Cured Salmon which Rick Soli put me on to in this site. While I couldn't afford the King Salmon at $16 per pound here, the recipe was fabulous with some Icelandic salmon ($11 per pound). I helped a friend who had just purchased his first WSM smoker prepare this for his introductory run, and the results were incredible. We used chunks of apple wood and followed the recipe precisely. I heartily recommend this recipe to others; it was fantastic.

Tom-

I agree with you 100% it is one of the best recipes on the board. I just loved the color of the salmon after I rinsed the rub off.

Also next time get your self some Alder wood chunks they are excellet with fish. I got mine on line at http://www.cabelas.com

Here are my pictures again if you want to see the red color I am talking about.

My salmon

That sure is a nice lookiing piece of fish Rick! I also have to agree with the salmon recipe being on eof the best on the board. I smoked mine with hickory and it was unbelievable. My wife detests salmon and she thought it was great - that says something right there.

I've done Cardog's salmon many times now, and have always been VERY pleased with it. That's another of those "spoiler" recipes - I can't get salmon in a restaurant without comparing it. The restaurant version usually falls short.

Keri C

This is certainly a real winner. In fact I used the simple "Raichlen Ratio" on salmon and even farmed trout - it gained the vital "wife acceptance" for the WSM.

Back