Captain America Q200

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Bruce helped me a while back to get one of those Spark grills. It looks like what would happen if you assembled a team from Apple and Google to design a grill. I am giving it to my older son, the IT support technician. It will fit him perfectly.

But, what to do for my younger son? He is on the autistic spectrum (Asperger's) and is very fixated on super hero characters, especially Captain America. So, I came up with a grill that fits him like the Spark does my other son.

I started with the leftover parts from a Q200 I have had for years. It was, in fact, my first restoration posted here.

IMG_0011.jpeg

This grill convinced me that Weber Q grills were in fact excellent cookers. Over time, my restore wore off and the paint started peeling. I had the lid sand blasted with no definite plan. So I dug it out and used a grinder to clean the bottom.

I picked VHT dark blue caliper paint to repaint the lid and legs on the stand and caliper red for the bottom of the grill. Captain America colors! I had a new grate and a new burner already in inventory, so internals didn’t require more $😊.

IMG_5254.jpeg

IMG_5256.jpeg

I made a Captain America label to cover the Weber one in the handle:
IMG_5255.jpeg

This picture shows the very different results sandblasting (lid) gives vs. using a grinder and cup brush (bottom):
IMG_5257.jpeg

I am still waiting on an outdoor ready Captain America shield decal for the front wheel cover. I put thus paper printout on for now so I could get this posted:
IMG_5258.jpeg

One salute to Weber on the back wheel:
IMG_5260.jpeg

Last edited:
That's beautiful, John, and the wheel decor really ties it together.
I understand the fixation part, two of my three boys are aspergers, when our oldest was six he only talked about dinosaurs and Sonic the hedgehog. We were looking for a Sonic custume for a long time and couldn't find any, so recruited a friend with a sawing machine and a few blue T-shirts 😊

Back