Capacity Conundrum

Chris NE

I'm serving a three-way (brisket, pulled pork, back back ribs) BBQ next Friday.

I had planned on smoking the pork butt this weekend and reheating on Friday.

I had also planned to smoke the brisket overnight (starting on Thursday, to be finished Friday). I want to smoke the loin back ribs on Friday to finish at dinner time.

Will I be able to fit the brisket and 5 racks of loin back ribs in the smoker simultaneously? Or should I try to finish the brisket in the oven or hold it in an ice chest to cook the ribs?

This is the only day when I've actually wished I had the ginormous 22" WSM!

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Chris

First of all,welcome to the best BBQ forum on the web. I think if you have the cooler ready,you should be able to hold the brisket ok. Just no peeking! Wrap it in two layers of HD foil and a couple of towels. Like I said,NO PEEKING! HTH and I hope everything comes out great and tasty.

Also, put your cooler in the bathtub, fill it with hot water. Let it sit 15-20 minutes before you put the brisket in. This will help hold temp.

Oh, btw, dump the water out before you put the brisket in.
icon_razz.gif

Chris, do you have a rib rack? If not I would suggest that you get one. You can cut the loin backs in half, then fill up the rack, lean half racks against the front, back & sides (you can even lay 1 on top) until you get all 10 pieces on the smoker.

There are several good "racks" out there, at big box stores, Amazon or you can also use an inverted turkey rack. Bed-Bath- and Beyond, any kitchen gadget store will have 'em. Good luck...you're gonna be busy!

Brad:

I do have a rib rack (actually two of them). I think I'll smoke the brisket on top starting tonight, and move it to the bottom grate tomorrow when the loin backs need to go on.

Whenever the brisket is finished I'll move it to a pre-heated ice chest to hold.

Thanks,

Chris

Back