Can't remember the last time....

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
....I made pulled pork! :oops:

Well, when I bought short ribs for my brother, I threw a two pack of Duroc PB's into my Creekstone cart to hit the free shipping minimum. I couldn't fit these guys in the freezer as is, so I had to cook them up. #1 was made into Carnitas (posted yesterday), and #2 got the pulled pork treatment.

I fired up the pellet grill last night to 200F, and then dusted the pork up with Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust. Onto the grill it went at about 10:30p, and it looked like this.....

1630549501044.jpeg

This morning, after I was up and had a cup of coffee in hand, I went outside to check on things, and kicked the temp up to 230F......

1630549535614.jpeg

Sometime during the day, I moved the temp again to 245F to hurry things along, and at about 3:15p, I hit 195F, everything was jiggly, so off she came.......

1630549581762.jpeg

After a 4 hour rest, tightly wrapped in foil, in a towel lined cooler, I commenced to pulling.....

1630549615370.jpeg

I know, I know, it's pulled pork....seen a million of them! So, darned, good! This one is destined to get packaged up and frozen for easy BBQ meals, but the few bites I had (quality control is a must) were outrageously good. Great balance of pork, smoke, rub, and more pork. This cook reminded me why I often tell new bbq'ers that pulled pork is a great first or early cook.

Thanks for stopping by!

R

Looks great!

Almost 21 hours before snacking. That is pretty strong.
Do you ever worry it is cooking too slow.

Last edited:
Looks great!

Almost 20 hours before snacking. That is pretty strong.
Di you ever worry it is cooking too slow
I've found that using a low temp for the first part of my long cooks on the pellet grill will result in a bit more smoke flavor (which tends to be lighter with pellets than on the WSM.) The total cook time on this one was a bit less than 15 hours, with the first 8 of those at 200F (the remaining at an average of about 237F.) For an 8 lb butt, ~2 hrs/lb isn't too slow at all, and I've found that I enjoy the texture on these long cooks better making them longer (as opposed to, say 275F.)

So, nope, no worry about it cooking too slowly. :)

R

It really does look perfect. I just worry about it taking too long to get to temp. And I always worried about safety with feeding others. But I believe you have the perfect system.
Now waiting that long to snack... you stronger than I.

It really does look perfect. I just worry about it taking too long to get to temp. And I always worried about safety with feeding others. But I believe you have the perfect system.
Now waiting that long to snack... you stronger than I.
When cooking a whole muscle cut, I'm not worried about food safety...... "Bad stuff" is going to be on the outside of the roast, and the temp of the outside of the cut hits 140F (safety zone) pretty fast when it's sitting in a 200+ degree environment. The internal temp is not my concern in terms of safety as it would be if I were cooking something made of chopped or ground meat (ie: sausage.) The latter is why my smoked sausages (done at temps of 170F or less includes curing salts which take care of any bacteria that has been mixed INSIDE what is being cooked.

......waiting that long to snack? Well, that just makes it taste that much better when I do get some! :)

R

Well, when I bought short ribs for my brother, I threw a two pack of Duroc PB's into my Creekstone cart to hit the free shipping minimum. I couldn't fit these guys in the freezer as is, so I had to cook them up. #1 was made into Carnitas (posted yesterday), and #2 got the pulled pork treatment.

I fired up the pellet grill last night to 200F, and then dusted the pork up with Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust. Onto the grill it went at about 10:30p, and it looked like this.....

View attachment 36176

This morning, after I was up and had a cup of coffee in hand, I went outside to check on things, and kicked the temp up to 230F......

View attachment 36177

Sometime during the day, I moved the temp again to 245F to hurry things along, and at about 3:15p, I hit 195F, everything was jiggly, so off she came.......

View attachment 36178

After a 4 hour rest, tightly wrapped in foil, in a towel lined cooler, I commenced to pulling.....

View attachment 36179

I know, I know, it's pulled pork....seen a million of them! So, darned, good! This one is destined to get packaged up and frozen for easy BBQ meals, but the few bites I had (quality control is a must) were outrageously good. Great balance of pork, smoke, rub, and more pork. This cook reminded me why I often tell new bbq'ers that pulled pork is a great first or early cook.

Thanks for stopping by!

R
Great looking pig Rich!

Pulled pork is a staple at our house and, IMO, the pellet grill is always a good choice for the cook.

Very nice cook Rich, like your method. We usually have an abundance of pulled pork in the freezer for quick meals. This reminded me that we are out of pulled pork and I need to defrost the PB I have in the freezer. Today I'll be makin' bacon on the camp chef, be smoking a cured pork belly.
Getting my fall and winter bacon stash.

Very nice cook Rich, like your method. We usually have an abundance of pulled pork in the freezer for quick meals. This reminded me that we are out of pulled pork and I need to defrost the PB I have in the freezer. Today I'll be makin' bacon on the camp chef, be smoking a cured pork belly.
Getting my fall and winter bacon stash.
Sounds great, Rich! I've been out of bacon for a while.....

View attachment 36176

View attachment 36177

View attachment 36178

View attachment 36179

Thanks for stopping by!

R
Rich - I really enjoy your pic's of pork via your pellet grill, they always have a great color & I 'm a believer in low & slow regardless of application.

Question: Give me your take take/review on Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust, I notice that it seems to be your go-to on pork, is it more of a sugar based rub?

Thanks in-advance!

Eric

Rich - I really enjoy your pic's of pork via your pellet grill, they always have a great color & I 'm a believer in low & slow regardless of application.

Question: Give me your take take/review on Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust, I notice that it seems to be your go-to on pork, is it more of a sugar based rub?

Thanks in-advance!

Eric
Thanks, Eric! I just take the pics, though, the wood and grill do all the hard work! :)

I've really enjoyed the DP rubs since way back (the founder, Chris Capell, was very active on the Big Green Egg forum when he started the company.) Dizzy Dust was one of their original blends, and I have found it to fit their billing of an all purpose rub. I've used it on just about everything, and I like the flavors. There's not much sugar in the mix (per the label, <.5g in a serving of 1.2g.....and I'm guessing that any amount between 0 and .5 gets that label....) It's not salty like some other rubs, and is actually available in a salt free version. This is what's in it:

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 7.14.48 PM.png

I have several other favorites: Raising the Steaks (great Montreal-style steak rub), Red Eye Express (coffee infused rub that I love on beef, pork or chicken), Mole, Mediterranean'ish, and a few more. It would be worth stopping by their online store and either building your own sample pack, or picking up one of their stock ones.

My $.02. :)

R

Thanks, Eric! I just take the pics, though, the wood and grill do all the hard work! :)

I've really enjoyed the DP rubs since way back (the founder, Chris Capell, was very active on the Big Green Egg forum when he started the company.) Dizzy Dust was one of their original blends, and I have found it to fit their billing of an all purpose rub. I've used it on just about everything, and I like the flavors. There's not much sugar in the mix (per the label, <.5g in a serving of 1.2g.....and I'm guessing that any amount between 0 and .5 gets that label....) It's not salty like some other rubs, and is actually available in a salt free version. This is what's in it:

View attachment 36224

I have several other favorites: Raising the Steaks (great Montreal-style steak rub), Red Eye Express (coffee infused rub that I love on beef, pork or chicken), Mole, Mediterranean'ish, and a few more. It would be worth stopping by their online store and either building your own sample pack, or picking up one of their stock ones.

My $.02. :)

R
Regardless of the amount of sugar, I seem to favor rubs that don't have to much salt in them. I will have to add it to my list. Thanks!

Back